Question regarding a career in computer engineering

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of math in computer engineering and how much calculus is used on the job. It was mentioned that calculus is important in certain areas but linear algebra may be more useful. The conversation also touched on network administration and how it requires specific skills and experience rather than a degree in computer engineering. It was suggested that if someone is not strong in math, they may want to consider a major in Information System Technology (IST) instead. The conversation also mentioned that computer engineering courses do not heavily involve calculus, but courses such as Signals and Systems and Discrete Math may be more math-intensive.
kurosaki69
my major as of now is computer engineering. i have taken calculus 1 and currently enrolled in calculus 2. i wanted to know how much of calculus will be used on the job later on because I am struggling in math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Computers "think" in math, so it's kinda important. How important depends on where you want to take your career. Calculus...some areas will use it alot, others won't. Linear algebra tends to be more useful as far as I can tell. Problem setup will likely be vastly more important than solving existing equations.

Calc I is usually differentiation, then Calc II teaching integration. Sometimes the order is different. Integration can be a bit odd when you first start it, hang in there. Once it stops being unfamiliar, the algebra is really the hard part. If you're studying the delta-epsilon method, it also tends to make it a bit harder to grasp.

ok thanks alot. also i wanted to know under what category would network administration fall under.

Network administration tends to be more about specific skills and experience. Education tends more towards 2-year programs, certificates...it's mostly about how well you know the stuff their systems use.

Yah I agree, Network Admin is stuff high school kids can get certified for, you don't need a 4 year comp eng degree.

My friend is a Comp Eng, he co-oped for Cisco and all he did was replace network cards, very lame.

He was quite disappointed as well, but if you don't have a masters or PHd in comp eng you really don't have much of an option.

Definitely not hardware design.

But to get to your question, you don't need any calculus to do network admin.

Note if what you want to do for a career is network admin and you don't like math, then you might want to look into majors such as Information System Technology (IST).

I think the highest they go into math is Calc 1 and one of their domains is I believe Network admin.

My friend who was working for CISCO was with a bunch of IST majors and they had much more knowledge of network admin then he did.

Last edited:
If you take computer engineering courses, you'll hardly have to deal with Calculus. The way to succeed in those courses is to ** do practice problems **, and lots of them.

I'm taking an advanced, upper-level digital systems design course and we don't touch any complex math really. We work with binary signals a lot... I would be able to worry if you can think critically enough.

Calculus shouldn't be a of great concern, it should be your foundation/elementary courses that you have to take to be an engineer. You should still know calculus.

If you're weak in math in general, I'd probably stay away from engineering as a whole.

Also remember, engineer's will make a higher salary than some network admin. It's well worth the effort.

Actually I should be studying, I have a test tomorrow :p Hope this helps.

ok thanks alot. i don't like math that much and i am having problems grasping the concepts. However i do like working on computers and I'm pretty good with tech work and networking. any suggestions on what i should go into?

Again, IST. If your good at hands on and not math/physics/theory/engineering, IST, you'll get paid less though. Company's want IST majors so they can pay them less than a full fledged comp engineer because you don't need to be a engineer to do that type of job.

On the other hand if they want someone to design a processor or write test benches they wouldn't hire an IST major.

Last edited:
In my previous post, I didnt watn to make it seem like computer engineers use no math, which is untrue. I meant for that post to be geared towards digital systems design.

As a computer engineering student, you'll have to take courses that cover Signals and Systems or whatever your school may call it... it's VERY heavy in math... Complex #s, integration (summations as well), derivatives, etc. It's probably going to be the most math intensive class youll have to take.

You are likely to take Discrete Math as well, I know I don't since I'm an EE.

DefaultName said:
In my previous post, I didnt watn to make it seem like computer engineers use no math, which is untrue. I meant for that post to be geared towards digital systems design.

As a computer engineering student, you'll have to take courses that cover Signals and Systems or whatever your school may call it... it's VERY heavy in math... Complex #s, integration (summations as well), derivatives, etc. It's probably going to be the most math intensive class youll have to take.

You are likely to take Discrete Math as well, I know I don't since I'm an EE.

I am a computer engineer myself and what he said is completely true. In fact, I'm taking Signals and Systems, Discrete structures at the same time lol

Signals :( Gotta love that class.

1. What is computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a field of study that combines principles of computer science and electrical engineering to design and develop computer systems and hardware. It involves creating and implementing new technologies and solutions for various computer-related problems.

2. What skills are required to pursue a career in computer engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in computer engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Java, and Python. Additionally, a solid understanding of mathematics and physics is necessary for this field.

3. What job opportunities are available in computer engineering?

Computer engineering offers a wide range of job opportunities, including software development, hardware design, network engineering, systems analysis, and technical support. It also provides opportunities for research and development in various industries such as healthcare, finance, and entertainment.

4. Is a degree in computer engineering necessary for a career in this field?

While a degree in computer engineering is not always a requirement for a career in this field, it is highly recommended. Employers often prefer candidates with a degree in computer engineering or a related field, as it demonstrates a strong foundation of knowledge and skills. Additionally, a degree can provide access to internships, networking opportunities, and specialized courses.

5. What are the future prospects for a career in computer engineering?

The future prospects for a career in computer engineering are very promising. As technology continues to advance, the need for skilled computer engineers will only increase. Additionally, the rapid growth of industries such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and virtual reality presents even more opportunities for those in this field.