1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Question regarding Electrical Engineering fields

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    Hello! :)

As some or maybe none of you may know, I am currently attending the OIT to study Electrical Engineering. My main hope/goal in being an Electrical Engineer is to work on development and progression of nano-technology and or quantum computing. I am fairly certain that the first one fits in with Electrical Engineering, but I am not as sure on the second.

With these goals in mind, is there anything I should or could be doing to help me get there? I don't really see what I could be doing besides going to school, but I just get the feeling that there must be something I am supposed to do to "make sure" I get into the field I want. Is a Physics degree a better option?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit broad, I am not sure what to ask

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    I more or less have the same intentions, but I guess the only difference is that I am looking at chemical engineering. To be honest, nanotech is a very broad term and is made up of many different disciplines. I would think that when dealing with matter on such a small scale it would be in the area of chemistry, since technology itself does not exist on that level, at least to my knowledge, but to answer your question, I would recommend chemical, but I do not see why electrical would not work. I suggest speaking to a few professors at your school, they should be able to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook