Question regarding Fourier Transform/e^-2pi*i

• Thread starter pawnwarp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary: The formula for Fourier Transform is not always simplified to 1 via Euler's formula, and the integral may require special techniques for evaluation. The frequency measures cycles per unit time for finite time signals.
pawnwarp
Hello,

I am a HS Senior and in my AP chem class we discussed Fourier Transform and their applications (didn't actually do any math with it, just how it works and the formula) in spectroscopy. It seemed pretty interesting to me. But I have a simple question about the formula that I just don't get.

I noticed that in the integral, there is a e^-2*pi*i. This will probably sound really stupid but given that I have only taken up to Calc BC and HS Physics, why isn't this simplified to 1 via Euler's formula? And how would you even go about evaluating the integral? My TI-89 was unable to solve the complex integral...

I think it might be related to the fact that frequency doesn't measure cycles per unit time like wiki says...but then what does it measure??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, pawnwarp! :smile:

The integral would contain something like e^-2*pi*i*t.
I think you dropped off the "t" (or something similar).
Therefore it can not be simplified to 1.

The typical problem with the integral is that it extends to infinity where the exponentiation is not defined properly.
To this end the Dirac delta function is sometimes introduced to represent the result, but I'll not go into that now.

For finite time signals, like a square function:
$$f(t)=\begin{cases}1 & \textrm{if } -1 \le t \le 1 \\ 0 & \textrm{otherwise} \end{cases}$$
you can integrate the formula without special tricks.

Btw, the frequency would measure cycles per unit time.

Thank You for the welcome :D

Yes, I saw the t but can't e^(-2*pi*i*t) be changed to (e^(-2*pi*i))^t, which becomes 1^t and then becomes 1? I must surely be missing something here...

pawnwarp said:
Thank You for the welcome :D

Yes, I saw the t but can't e^(-2*pi*i*t) be changed to (e^(-2*pi*i))^t, which becomes 1^t and then becomes 1? I must surely be missing something here...
Unless t is an integer, 1^t is not necessarily 1.

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze signals and systems in the frequency domain, and is particularly useful in the fields of signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

What is the significance of the constant e^-2pi*i in the Fourier Transform?

The constant e^-2pi*i, also known as the complex exponential, is an important component of the Fourier Transform. It represents the phase and frequency information of a signal. In the context of the Fourier Transform, it is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

How is the Fourier Transform calculated?

The Fourier Transform is calculated using an integral equation, which involves taking the integral of a function multiplied by the complex exponential. This integral is evaluated over an infinite range of values to determine the frequency components of the signal.

What is the inverse Fourier Transform?

The inverse Fourier Transform is the mathematical operation that takes the Fourier Transform of a function and converts it back to the original function. It is used to reconstruct a signal in the time domain from its frequency components.

What are the applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields, including signal and image processing, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in technologies such as MRI scanners, radar systems, and audio and video compression.