1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Magnetic field

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] denote electric and magnetic fields in a frame S and [itex]\vec{E'}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B'}[/itex] in another frame S' moving with respect to S at a velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Two of the following equations are wrong. Identify them.

a)[itex]B_y ' = B_y + \dfrac{vE_z}{c^2}[/itex]
    b)[itex]E_y ' = E_y - \dfrac{vB_z}{c^2}[/itex]
    c)[itex]b_y ' = B_y + vE_z[/itex]
    d)[itex]E_y ' = E_y + vB_z [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all I can't understand what is 'c' here. Is it speed of light?Also, how can the magnitude of field change with frame? The magnitude of force can vary but I don't think field should vary. This question seems too complicated to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

##c## is the speed of light yes. The magnetic and electric fields transform non-trivially under Lorentz boosts; one can prove this using special relativity. You can probably look it up online if you don't have a textbook that discusses it.

4. Jul 16, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Dimensional analysis might be useful here.

5. Jul 17, 2013 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Hmm... So its just basically a problem of dimensional analysis. No magnetics involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted