Question regarding Stewart Calculus Book.

In summary, My community college is requiring us to use Stewart's Calculus 7th editon (california custome ED.). The professor said that either the normal or custom edition would be fine. However, the custom edition has material not covered in the course stripped out. If it is nothing major, I would not purchase Stewart at all. International editions are just the same textbooks printed on cheaper stock quality of paper.
TitoSmooth
My community college is requiring us to use Stewart's Calculus 7th editon (california custome ED.).
I emailed the professor asking if we could use the normal US version and he said it is fine. While trying to be a cheapass I found out that the California Ed of Stewart Calculus is cheaper then the normal &th ed. The problem is that the California Custom edition has 200 or maybe 300 less pages(not sure if error by seller).

What are the major changes between both books? Has the California edition been stripped of content? Thanks.

Also, can anyone recommended a good introduction to statistics book for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Also, can anyone recommended a good introduction to statistics book for me?"

>> Ross.
>> Bertsekas and Tsitsiklis.

There's two versions of the Stewart book, one has only single variable and the other has both single variable and multivariable (which would explain why it's more expensive and has more pages). There's also a book with only multivariable but the book states this clear on the front to distinguish it from the other two.

So if you are only planning on using the single variable, the "california custom" version is obviously the way to go, but check with your prof or the syllabus first

The custom edition has material not covered in the course stripped out. I think it may be similar to UC Berkeley's custom edition Stewart, which is a lighter version of the stock one.

E7.5 said:
The custom edition has material not covered in the course stripped out. I think it may be similar to UC Berkeley's custom edition Stewart, which is a lighter version of the stock one.

Our book covers Cal 1/2/3 and is used for whole Calculus series.
The teacher said custom or normal would be fine. Is it worth paying $30 more dollars to receive the regular version?

Can you explain what has been cut out or modified in the Berkeley version? Thanks.

If it is nothing major it is not a problem because I own a copy of Swokoski Calculus which I find to be a superior book(Like his theorem/postulate approach), Spivak, and Klines.

Also. What does it mean by International Edition? Thanks

TitoSmooth said:
Our book covers Cal 1/2/3 and is used for whole Calculus series.
The teacher said custom or normal would be fine. Is it worth paying $30 more dollars to receive the regular version?

Can you explain what has been cut out or modified in the Berkeley version? Thanks.

If it is nothing major it is not a problem because I own a copy of Swokoski Calculus which I find to be a superior book(Like his theorem/postulate approach), Spivak, and Klines.

Also. What does it mean by International Edition? Thanks
I don't know offhand the explicit differences. I personally would not shell out any extra money for Stewart. In fact, unless you have homework problems from the book that you are required to turn in, I would not purchase Stewart at all.

International editions are just the same textbooks printed on cheaper stock quality of paper. There might be some minor arrangement differences, but I believe the content is the same word-for-word. I think it's just a way for U.S. companies to make more profit (I recall reading some warning on an international edition textbook that it's illegal to sell copies of it in the U.S. or something).

Often universities have "Custom edition" books and all they do is strip out a few chapters that will not be covered in the course. Usually, it's a rip off because you end up paying more than you would buying the FULL (hardback) version from amazon.

The international edition is usually just a cheap paperback version of the U.S. edition. The content is the same but often the pages/font are scaled to a different size, causing the page numbers to be a bit off. The content should be identical though. Many of my international edition books say that they cannot be sold in the U.S. but the venders insist that it is legal so I can't say for sure.

jbrussell93 said:
Often universities have "Custom edition" books and all they do is strip out a few chapters that will not be covered in the course. Usually, it's a rip off because you end up paying more than you would buying the FULL (hardback) version from amazon.

The international edition is usually just a cheap paperback version of the U.S. edition. The content is the same but often the pages/font are scaled to a different size, causing the page numbers to be a bit off. The content should be identical though. Many of my international edition books say that they cannot be sold in the U.S. but the venders insist that it is legal so I can't say for sure.

Thanks. For the information regarding international editions. Will try to grab an international edition when ever I can. I purchased the california edition of STewart Calculus for 80 dollars cheaper then the standard edition at 110.

Great thing I went to the goodwill today. Ended up spending around 100 dollars on used books.
Got a few great mathbooks. Best was a Thomas Calculus 3rd ed for 5 bucks. The book is easy to read and reads like a novel. Physics/chemistry/mexican history/philosophy/ and many great collections like Jack London, Hemingway, Carlos Fuentes, Charles dickens etc. Extremely happy I have all this knowledge near my bedside.

jbrussell93 said:

Last year the US Supreme Court decided Kirtsaeng v John Wiley & Sons, which concerned exactly that sort of second-hand sale. The Court held that the first-sale doctrine applied, so once the publisher has put a book into circulation it cannot object if lawfully acquired copies not intended for sale in the US are sold second-hand in the US.

1. What is the Stewart Calculus Book?

The Stewart Calculus Book is a renowned textbook used by students and educators to learn and teach the principles of calculus. It was written by mathematician and author James Stewart and covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Is the Stewart Calculus Book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Stewart Calculus Book is designed to be accessible for students who are new to calculus. It provides clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts and build a strong foundation in calculus.

3. Can the Stewart Calculus Book be used for self-study?

Absolutely. The Stewart Calculus Book is written in a clear and engaging style, making it a great resource for self-study. It also includes a variety of practice problems and exercises to help readers reinforce their understanding.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available for the Stewart Calculus Book?

Yes, there are various supplemental materials available for the Stewart Calculus Book, including a solutions manual, study guides, and online resources such as videos and interactive quizzes. These materials can be helpful for further practice and understanding.

5. Is the Stewart Calculus Book the best option for learning calculus?

The Stewart Calculus Book is a widely used and respected textbook for learning calculus. However, every student may have different preferences and study methods, so it is best to consult with your instructor and try out different resources to find the best fit for you.