1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question regarding the derivative terminalogy and wording

Tags:
  1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    When doing calculus, we typically say that we "take the derivative of a function ##f(x)##." However, rigorously, ##f(x)## is not a function but rather the value of the function ##f## evaluated at ##x##. Thus, in order for this wording to be correct shouldn't we have to write something like ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(x \mapsto f(x) )## instead of ##\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}f(x)##, as we normally do? Something about this mix up of words and notation bothers me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're right. Out of the several notations available for derivatives, the ##\frac{d}{dx}## notation is the least clear and the most subject to misuse and subsequent confusion. I think the 'prime' notation is better, as ##f'## is a function that is the derivative of ##f##, so that ##f'(x)## is ##f'## evaluated at ##x##.

One advantage of the ##\frac{d}{dx}## notation though is that it has a clearer link to the definition of the derivative as the limit of a ratio.

##\frac{d}{dx}f(x)## can be OK if you infer the existence of implied parentheses in the right place, ie ##\left(\frac{d}{dx}f\right)(x)##. Another way to write it, following the same principle, is ##\frac{df}{dx}(x)##.

The muddle can get much worse when one does partial derivatives. It's possible to write horribly ambiguous and misleading formulas using fairly commonly-used notation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted