Question regarding the subspace status of a vector in R^2

In summary: Find real numbers e and f so that (ka, kb2) = (e, f2) for all k and (a,b2)?2. Explain why you can't find such real numbers?Finally, if you can do those two things, you will have shown that S is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^2##.Mark44 has already given you one counterexample to the first question, but the 2nd question is a little trickier. If you're not sure about the first question, then you can work on the 2nd question.
MoreDrinks

Homework Statement

Is the following set a subspace of R2?

Homework Equations

(a,b2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm exhausted and stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
MoreDrinks said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(a,b2)

(a, b2) is a set? Not a vector?

Zondrina said:
No, this represents a set of vectors of this form.

Zondrina said:

Sorry, sorry - I miswrote. The question was "Are the following sets subspaces of R2? The set of all vectors of the form...

and then (a,b2)

I'm trying to think of every reason. There's a zero vector for sure...I don't think scalar multiplication is a problem...but I don't know.

MoreDrinks said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(a,b2)

You still need to show what you have tried. This problem is similar to the other one you posted today - you need to show that for vectors in the set, addition is closed, and scalar multiplication is closed.

Mark44 said:
You still need to show what you have tried. This problem is similar to the other one you posted today - you need to show that for vectors in the set, addition is closed, and scalar multiplication is closed.

I'll be more explicit in the future. I did things, and I didn't know "showing attempt" was such a hard and fast rule.

a and b could both be zero, so there is a zero vector.

2(a,b2) I do not see any problem with.

(a,b2) + (c,d2) = (a+c, b2+d2)

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with a subspace here or not. I suspect not, and that it's not closed under addition.

Last edited:
Are there any restrictions on a and b? IOW, are they restricted to integers or can they be any real numbers?

Clearly (1, 4) is in the set, since it could be written as (1, 22). What about (2, -9)?

Mark44 said:
Are there any restrictions on a and b? IOW, are they restricted to integers or can they be any real numbers?

Clearly (1, 4) is in the set, since it could be written as (1, 22). What about (2, -9)?

They can be any real numbers.

Mark44 said:

I had thought that we had to begin by assuming a and b are within R2? I mean, I see where you're going - the square root of negative nine is not within R2, so the vector is not a subspace. There just weren't any ground rules laid down in this class for how we could go about this. Do you, perhaps, have a link to a webpage that really goes over vector spaces and subspaces?

MoreDrinks said:
I had thought that we had to begin by assuming a and b are within R2?
No, a and b are real numbers. A vector <a, b> with these as its components would be in R2.
MoreDrinks said:
I mean, I see where you're going - the square root of negative nine is not within R2
More accurately, it's not in R (i.e., it's not real).
MoreDrinks said:
, so the vector is not a subspace.
So the set of vectors does not form a subspace (of R2).
MoreDrinks said:
There just weren't any ground rules laid down in this class for how we could go about this. Do you, perhaps, have a link to a webpage that really goes over vector spaces and subspaces?

I don't have a link, but I know there's an article on wikipedia, and no doubt many other sites. The basic idea is that a vector space is a set of things with two operations: addition and scalar multiplication. A vector space must satisfy ~10 vector space axioms, most of which deal with vector addition and scalar multiplication.

A subspace of a vector space is a vector space in its own right. To show that a subset of a vector space is in fact a subspace of that vector space, you need to establish three things:
1. The 0 vector is contained in the set.
2. If u and v are arbitrary vectors in the set, then u + v is also in the set.
3. If u is an arbitrary vector in the set and k is a scalar, then ku is in the set.

That's really about it.

Mark44 said:
No, a and b are real numbers. A vector <a, b> with these as its components would be in R2.
More accurately, it's not in R (i.e., it's not real).So the set of vectors does not form a subspace (of R2).

But your suggestion for proving that (a,b2) are not a set of vectors involves making b a non-real number, correct? So we're not actually beginning with a subset of R2 - or do I misunderstand? Thank you for your help thus far.

You're given the set S=##\{(a,b^2)\in \mathbb{R}^2: a, b \in \mathbb{R}\}##. It's a collection of ordered pairs, right? So any element in S is also in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, so it's a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2##. The vector (1,4) = (1,22) is in the set. The vector (2,-9), however, isn't, because you can't express it in the form (a,b2) where a and b are real numbers. S is a set of vectors, but it doesn't contain every vector in ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

To prove S is a subspace, you have to show the three things Mark44 listed in his post.

You've already shown that (0,0) is an element of the set because a=0, b=0 works.

Now take two elements of S, (a,b2) and (c,d2). When you add them together, you get (a+c, b2+d2). Can this be written in the form (e, f2) for some real numbers e and f? You need to explain why you know there are such e and f, or you need to find a counterexample to prove you can't.

Now let k be a real number. Is k(a,b2) = (ka, kb2) in S? In other words, can you always find real numbers e and f such that e=ka and f=kb2? Remember k can be any real number.

Last edited:
vela said:
You're given the set S=##\{(a,b^2)\in \mathbb{R}^2: a, b \in \mathbb{R}\}##. It's a collection of ordered pairs, right? So any element in S is also in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, so it's a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2##. The vector (1,4) = (1,22) is in the set. The vector (2,-9), however, isn't, because you can't express it in the form (a,b2) where a and b are real numbers. S is a set of vectors, but it doesn't contain every vector in ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

To prove S is a subspace, you have to show the three things Mark44 listed in his post.

You've already shown that (0,0) is an element of the set because a=0, b=0 works.

Now take two elements of S, (a,b2) and (c,d2). When you add them together, you get (a+c, b2+d2). Can this be written in the form (e, f2) for some real numbers e and f? You need to explain why you know there are such e and f, or you need to find a counterexample to prove you can't.

Now let k be a real number. Is k(a,b2) = (ka, kb2) in S? In other words, can you always find real numbers e and f such that e=ka and f=kb2? Remember k can be any real number.

As far as I can tell, yes, it's closed under addition and scalar multiplication, but the answer is that it's not a subspace. This is why I am stumped.

It is not closed under scalar multiplication. Try a factor of -1 for any vector with non-zero second component.

mfb said:
It is not closed under scalar multiplication. Try a factor of -1 for any vector with non-zero second component.

Like, -1(a,b2)? So we get (-a,-b2)? Is this a problem - am I viewing the order of operations wrong or something?

(1,4) is element of your set of vectors (coming from a=1, b=2), but -1(1,4)=(-1,-4) is not an element of your set (as there is no real b where b^2=-4).

mfb said:
(1,4) is element of your set of vectors (coming from a=1, b=2), but -1(1,4)=(-1,-4) is not an element of your set (as there is no real b where b^2=-4).

It may take me a little longer than the other kids, but I get there. Thank you, sir.

Mark44 said:

mfb said:

mfb said:

MoreDrinks, now do you see where I was going with my question?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
MoreDrinks, now do you see where I was going with my question?

Surely, Mark. Follow-up question: when you're checking to see if a subset of vectors is closed under scalar multiplication, must a scalar be within the original vector space from which the subset is derived?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would help if, instead of simply claiming you get it, you demonstrate your understanding by explaining your solution. For example, you said S is closed under vector addition. How do you know? I wonder if you truly understand the concepts because you later claimed S was closed under scalar multiplication.

vela said:
It would help if, instead of simply claiming you get it, you demonstrate your understanding by explaining your solution. For example, you said S is closed under vector addition. How do you know? I wonder if you truly understand the concepts because you later claimed S was closed under scalar multiplication.

Well, we start in R2 with the form (a,b2). Anything of the form (a,b2) that we can add to our original (a,b2) is going to leave us with a (a,b2). Any b in R2 that is squared is going to be positive, which doesn't leave us with a second element b2 that is negative and, subsequently, possessing a non-real root outside of R2.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm sorry if the way I'm going about this is totally non-standard - there has never been any sort of "how to prove it" instruction in my educational history, so I'm sort of just jumping into this. It's not even required for my major: I just want to know, and I've enjoyed the matrix algebra in the course hitherto. Thank you for your help thus far.

It looks like you have the basic idea, but you need to be more careful about how you write it out.
MoreDrinks said:
Well, we start in R2 with the form (a,b2).
OK.

Anything of the form (a,b2) that we can add to our original (a,b2) is going to leave us with a (a,b2).
Here you're using the symbols a and b to represent three different quantities because you're talking about three different vectors. A symbol should represent only one thing at a time.

You're also just restating what it is you're trying to prove, that the sum of two vectors is in the right form.

Any b in R2 that is squared is going to be positive, which doesn't leave us with a second element b2 that is negative and, subsequently, possessing a non-real root outside of R2.
The phrase in red doesn't make sense because b is just a regular old number while R2 is a set of order pairs, so b can't be in R2. You mean b is in R, not R2.

The rest of the sentence isn't very clear because, again, you're using b to mean different things.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm sorry if the way I'm going about this is totally non-standard - there has never been any sort of "how to prove it" instruction in my educational history, so I'm sort of just jumping into this. It's not even required for my major: I just want to know, and I've enjoyed the matrix algebra in the course hitherto. Thank you for your help thus far.
You seem to be on the right track, and there's no need to apologize as long as you're trying, which you are. I'll mention that a lot of students struggle with learning how to write proofs, so you're not alone. It's a skill you can pick up as you go along, though.

vela said:
It looks like you have the basic idea, but you need to be more careful about how you write it out.

OK.

Here you're using the symbols a and b to represent three different quantities because you're talking about three different vectors. A symbol should represent only one thing at a time.

You're also just restating what it is you're trying to prove, that the sum of two vectors is in the right form.

The phrase in red doesn't make sense because b is just a regular old number while R2 is a set of order pairs, so b can't be in R2. You mean b is in R, not R2.

The rest of the sentence isn't very clear because, again, you're using b to mean different things.

You seem to be on the right track, and there's no need to apologize as long as you're trying, which you are. I'll mention that a lot of students struggle with learning how to write proofs, so you're not alone. It's a skill you can pick up as you go along, though.

Thank you. Cheers.

MoreDrinks said:
Surely, Mark. Follow-up question: when you're checking to see if a subset of vectors is closed under scalar multiplication, must a scalar be within the original vector space from which the subset is derived?
There is always some field (this is a precise mathematical term) from which components of a vector come. The field is usually the real numbers or the complex numbers, but finite fields such as {0, 1} can be used. In vector spaces such as R2 and R3, the field is the real numbers. In vector spaces such as C2, the field is the complex numbers, so in Cartesian form, each vector in C2 looks like this: <a1 + b1i, a2 + b2i>.

MoreDrinks said:
As vela said, many students struggle when it comes to doing proofs, as it isn't taught much or at all in courses before you get to linear algebra. IMO, it's a useful skill to have, though, as it fosters logical thinking that's not limited just to mathematics.

1. What is a subspace in R^2?

A subspace in R^2 is a set of vectors that satisfies two conditions: closure under vector addition and closure under scalar multiplication. This means that if you take any two vectors in the subspace and add them together, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace. Similarly, if you multiply any vector in the subspace by a scalar, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace.

2. How is a vector determined to be in a subspace in R^2?

A vector is determined to be in a subspace in R^2 if it satisfies the two conditions of closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that if the vector can be written as a linear combination of other vectors in the subspace, then it is considered to be in the subspace.

3. Can a vector be in multiple subspaces in R^2?

Yes, a vector can be in multiple subspaces in R^2. This is because a subspace is defined by its conditions of closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and a vector can satisfy these conditions for multiple subspaces at the same time.

4. What is the difference between a subspace and a span in R^2?

A subspace and a span are similar concepts in R^2, but there are some key differences. A subspace is a set of vectors that satisfies the conditions of closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. In other words, a subspace is a specific set of vectors, while a span is a broader concept that can encompass multiple subspaces.

5. How does the subspace status of a vector affect its properties in R^2?

The subspace status of a vector can affect its properties in R^2 in a few ways. For example, if a vector is in a subspace, it will have certain properties such as closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This can also affect how the vector can be manipulated and used in calculations involving other vectors in the subspace.