Question regarding the transfer of forces through a spring

In summary, the problem is that the block is sitting on two springs, and the springs are not compressed fully. The force is being applied to the block at a point where it is not being transmitted fully through the springs to the ground.
dude man bro
Maybe it has just been a long day but I cannot seem to visualize what is happening in this situation. The problem consists of a block sitting on two springs so that the springs are not completely compressed. (the springs are strong enough to support the box's weight) What I can't figure out is what is happening under the springs. How is the force transformed? Is the force even transformed? I am completely lost as to what is going on. I need to do a bolt analysis on the bolts holding the springs down and I don't know where to start. Please help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Picture! :) Draw a picture and post it if possible.

Draw a free body diagram, and post it. A picture is worth 1000 words (or more).

Here is the drawing.

Attachments

• SWITCH RACK sketch.PDF
    81.9 KB · Views: 396
So, what's the problem? Do you know how to do a force/moment analysis on the body? It seems to me the answer is obvious- each spring takes 1/6 the weight...

I guess I was vague with my question. I was more focused on how each of the 1/6 of the weight on each spring gets transferred through the spring. Meaning, I am not certain what is happening right where the spring touches the ground in my sketch. Does the spring also exert the same 1/6 onto the ground or does some of the force get stored in the spring as potential energy? I probably should have left out the force/moment analysis part of my question and left it as only a spring question for clarity. I'll know for next time

Attachments

• spring sketch.PDF
    46.8 KB · Views: 278
If the system is stationary and balanced, the spring imparts the same force on the base that is applied to its top. If the forces were unequal, the spring would be moving or deflecting.

Yeah that is what I was thinking but it seemed wrong so I thought I would ask just in case. Thank you for sticking with me till the end. I appreciate it

1. How does a spring transfer forces?

A spring transfers forces through the deformation of its coils. When a force is applied to one end of the spring, it causes the coils to compress or stretch, creating a restoring force in the opposite direction.

2. What factors affect the transfer of forces through a spring?

The transfer of forces through a spring is affected by its stiffness, length, and the amount of force applied. A stiffer spring will require more force to deform, while a longer spring will transfer forces over a greater distance.

3. Can a spring transfer forces in more than one direction?

Yes, a spring can transfer forces in both compression and tension. In compression, the coils are pushed together, while in tension, they are pulled apart. The direction of force transfer depends on the direction in which the spring is being deformed.

4. What types of forces can a spring transfer?

A spring can transfer both compressive and tensile forces, as well as shear and torsional forces. The type of force transferred depends on the direction and manner in which the spring is being deformed.

5. Are there any limitations to the transfer of forces through a spring?

Yes, the transfer of forces through a spring is limited by its material properties and design. If too much force is applied, the spring may permanently deform or break. Additionally, the transfer of forces may be affected by external factors such as temperature and corrosion.