Opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand

In summary, Frederik is designing a kickstand for a cargo bike and is investigating the use of a gas spring (pull type) and a torsion spring. He would avoid a gas spring on a bicycle.
FrederikSoelver
TL;DR Summary
Hey guys,
I'm trying to develop a kickstand for a cargo bike. In the process, I'm about to choose a spring mechanism for the up and down folding motion.
Hey Guys,

I found this thread about the proper size dimension of a torsion spring for upholding a kickstand in the right position.
I have to develop a kickstand for my Omnium Cargo bike.
I have been thinking about using the same choice of spring type for my product, but I've also been investigating the use of a gas spring (pull type) look at the attached picture
Skærmbillede 2021-07-29 kl. 11.58.51.png
, for the opening/closing movement of the kickstand.

I also attached 3 pictures with a visualization of the kickstand attached to the rack of the bike, and with a gas spring holding on to both components.
Skærmbillede 2021-07-29 kl. 13.18.02.png
Skærmbillede 2021-07-29 kl. 13.18.12.png

Skærmbillede 2021-07-29 kl. 13.18.31.png

I posted this message in the thread, but I don't think there are any active readers anymore:
What an interesting thread. :-) I can see that it's been years since anybody was active, but I hope that someone will still find this discussion interesting.
I'm in the development of a similar project. I need to do a front attached kickstand for a Omnium Cargo. I've been looking into different concepts, one which is similar to the one in the thread, one with inspiration from the Ursus Jumbo mechanism, and then another one with the use of a gas spring (pull type) which should provide me with the desired mechanism for holding the kickstand in the up riding position, and also allow it to go down in the stand position.
I'm indoubt the possibility of including a gas spring instead of a torsion spring, and I therefore hope that someone will find this discussion interested.

I would love to hear your advice concerning the use of a gas spring for a kickstand to a bike.

!EDIT! in the process of choosing a proper spring mechanism for the kickstand, i have thought about other components that will work for the system.
I've been thinking about using:
Extension spring
Torsion spring
Retractable spring reel

I have been trying to hold them up against each other in an evaluation matrix. The different factors I'm reviewing them in are
Stroke length
Life span (cycles)
Cost
Weight
Steady riding feeling
Weather resistance

if anybody has some comments about the different types of performance regarding the evaluation, please feel free to comment! :-DBest Frederik

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would avoid a gas spring on a bicycle.
They are insufficiently reliable and need a clean environment.

Likes berkeman
FrederikSoelver said:
Summary:: Hey guys,
I'm trying to develop a kickstand for a cargo bike. In the process, I'm about to choose a spring mechanism for the up and down folding motion.

Omnium Cargo bike
Which version do you have? How heavy are the front and back?

1627567408352.png

https://mk0omniummkis18u65k9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/modvind2.jpg

Have you looked at traditional center stands for motorcycles? They have a couple design features that make them easy to use, even with heavy motorcycles...

1627567565442.png

https://motorbikewriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Kaw-4.jpg

Likes Lnewqban
Hi Baluncore and berkeman,
thanks for your interest and answers. I will then move away for the use of a gas spring, as the kickstand needs to work in outside environments.

The Kickstand needs to be integrated with both the Cargo and the Mini-Max model, but most important for the Cargo model.

I have looked at a lot of different types of kickstands, and many of them are inspiring.
The kickstand for the motorbike is a good starting point, and I will for sure use the mechanisms from it.

Now my next concern is that the rider needs to be able to fold the kickstand down to the standing position, while he's still behind the handlebar, so I need to design a mechanism or a handle that would allow the driver to put the kickstand down and take it up again without the need of going in front of the bike.
Look at my silly drawing of the problem. :D
Hope you're still interested in my issue and that you have some good suggestions.
Skærmbillede 2021-08-04 kl. 12.11.15.png

FrederikSoelver said:
Hope you're still interested in my issue and that you have some good suggestions.
The stand must lift up to the rear. That way it cannot drop while you are traveling forwards. Lower the stand, then push the bike backwards with your feet to lock the stand. To raise the stand, push the bike forwards. It requires some way to;
1. release the stand to drop down when parking.
2. lift the stand when starting riding.
3. latching the stand in the up position while travelling.
I would look for one control lever only. First move would open the latch and drop the stand, so pushing back will then lift the bike onto the stand. Further movement would swing a link onto the surface of the front wheel that would lift the stand to the catch.

Hi Baluncore,

I think the angle joint of the kickstand should be in the front, so in a situation where the kickstand would break or malfunction, It won't risk the rider being thrown off the bike. this is the issue I'm talking about:

Skærmbillede 2021-08-04 kl. 15.24.11.png
Skærmbillede 2021-08-04 kl. 15.24.15.png

I've thought about a mechanism that could:
1. remove the tension of a spring and therefore allow the kickstand to go down into the "stand" position and lock it where it's stable. This could be performed by a level, a gear/brake cable and another spring and a small metal block with the cable endings attached to it.

2. When the level is not pressed the spring would keep its normal tension, and press the feet of the kickstand back to its uprise.
I hope this dirty sketch makes a little sense:
Skærmbillede 2021-08-04 kl. 15.57.47.png

I would look for a way that does not involve heavy work being done through a lever and cable.
I would remove big springs from the design and use positive latches.
I would raise the stand by moving the bicycle and using rotation of the front wheel to do the work.

Could you just relocate the stand aft in such a way that the rider can comfortably operate with one foot, not having to lift the whole weight of the cargo?
Google “central kickstand bicycle images”, it may give you some ideas:

Lnewqban said:
Could you just relocate the stand aft in such a way that the rider can comfortably operate with one foot, not having to lift the whole weight of the cargo?
Because it is a cargo bike, with the heavy load over the front steering wheel, the aim must be for stability when on the stand. The stand and the rear wheel make a stable three point contact, but only so long as the two legs of the stand are in front of the CofG of the load.

1. How does the opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand work?

The opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand typically involves a spring-loaded hinge that allows the kickstand to fold out and lock into place when needed. When the kickstand is not in use, it can be easily folded back up by pushing a lever or button.

2. Is the opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand durable?

The durability of the opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand depends on the quality of the materials used and how well it is maintained. Some kickstands may be more prone to wear and tear over time, while others may be more sturdy and long-lasting.

3. Can the opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand be adjusted?

Some kickstands may have adjustable opening mechanisms that allow for different angles and heights. This can be useful for finding the most stable position for the bike on different surfaces or for accommodating different bike sizes.

4. Are there different types of opening mechanisms for bicycle kickstands?

Yes, there are various types of opening mechanisms for bicycle kickstands, including spring-loaded hinges, push buttons, and levers. Some may also have additional features such as a lock to prevent accidental opening or closing.

5. How important is the opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand in terms of bike stability?

The opening mechanism for a bicycle kickstand is crucial for maintaining bike stability when parked. A well-designed and functioning mechanism can provide a sturdy base for the bike, while a faulty or weak mechanism may result in the bike tipping over and causing damage.