Question related to deductive logic

• Thread starter php006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the question asks for someone to use deductive logic to prove a relation between three things- people, Romeo, and Juliet. I don't know what deductive logic is, so I answered something probably not right. If someone could explain deductive logic to me in a more straightforward way, that would be much appreciated.
php006
Hello everyone:

a) I went to job interview and took a quiz, one question is related to deductive logic.

The question goes like this, "People love the lovers, Romeo loves Juliet, I love you. Please use deductive logic to prove the relation."

I don't know what deductive logic is, so I answered something probably not right. Could someone tell me how to prove the relation using deductive logic?

b) If you know good online resources that explain logic theory in plain English or some online resources provide interview questions involved logical/mathematical theory please share with me. I appreciate your help!

php006

Physics news on Phys.org
See here:
http://members.aol.com/wutsamada2/crithink/wilson10.htm [Broken]
and here:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-inductive/

The premises of a valid deductive argument guarantee the truth of the conclusion. If the premises are true, the conclusion cannot be false.
This does not mean that the conclusion of a deductive argument is necessarily or certainly true, as is often suggested. The conclusion of a deductive argument is certain only in circumstances in which the premises are certain.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure this is how the question was stated (exactly)?

That's way too ambiguous to answer. What relation?

php006 said:
The question goes like this, "People love the lovers, Romeo loves Juliet, I love you. Please use deductive logic to prove the relation."

Unless your name is Romeo, you don't want to work for the fool who came up with this question. :-p

php006 said:
"People love the lovers, Romeo loves Juliet, I love you. Please use deductive logic to prove the relation."

loseyourname said:
That's way too ambiguous to answer. What relation?

Probably the last one ( "You love me" ).

Since Romeo loves Juliet, Romeo is a lover.
So, everyone loves Romeo.
So, everyone is a lover.
So, everyone loves everyone.
So, I love you and you love me.

Thats a happy end!
:smile:

Lovely, just lovely. :)

1. What is deductive logic?

Deductive logic is a type of reasoning that involves using general principles or assumptions to come to a specific conclusion. It is based on the idea that if the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true.

2. How does deductive logic differ from inductive logic?

Deductive logic focuses on making specific conclusions from general principles, while inductive logic involves making generalizations based on specific observations. In other words, deductive logic moves from the general to the specific, while inductive logic moves from the specific to the general.

3. What are the key components of a deductive argument?

A deductive argument consists of a premise, which is a general statement or assumption, and a conclusion, which is a specific statement that follows logically from the premise. The argument may also include intermediate steps or evidence to support the conclusion.

4. What is the purpose of using deductive logic?

The purpose of using deductive logic is to arrive at a logical and valid conclusion based on given premises. It is often used in philosophical and mathematical reasoning, as well as in scientific experiments and investigations.

5. Can deductive logic be used to prove absolute truths?

No, deductive logic can only prove conclusions that follow logically from the given premises. It is limited by the accuracy and truthfulness of the premises and can never guarantee absolute truth. However, when used correctly, deductive logic can provide strong and convincing arguments for certain beliefs or theories.