Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question related to inequalities and limits that go to infinity

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    I want to show that if [itex] f(x) > g(x) [/itex] [itex] \forall x \in (-\infty, \infty) [/itex] and [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty}g(x)=\infty [/itex], then [itex] \displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=\infty [/itex]. This result is true, correct? If so, what theorem should I use or reference to show this result? I wasn't sure if the squeeze theorem was application to this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2
    Have you considered the Squeeze Theorem?

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    I may be entirely incorrect, but I don't think the squeeze theorem would be very helpful. f(x) isn't "squeezed" between two functions.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider what it means for ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} g(x) = \infty## to be true. Given any ##Y \in \mathbb{R}##, there is some ##X \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##g(x) > Y## for all ##x > X##. Now apply the fact that ##f(x) > g(x)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook