Question related to inequalities and limits that go to infinity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
eggmanneo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I want to show that if [itex]f(x) > g(x)[/itex] [itex]\forall x \in (-\infty, \infty)[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty}g(x)=\infty[/itex], then [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=\infty[/itex]. This result is true, correct? If so, what theorem should I use or reference to show this result? I wasn't sure if the squeeze theorem was application to this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be entirely incorrect, but I don't think the squeeze theorem would be very helpful. f(x) isn't "squeezed" between two functions.
 
Consider what it means for ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} g(x) = \infty## to be true. Given any ##Y \in \mathbb{R}##, there is some ##X \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##g(x) > Y## for all ##x > X##. Now apply the fact that ##f(x) > g(x)##.