1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question relates to Degree and some other simple question.

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1. Marcia was driving her car at the constant speed of 19.2 m/s when she saw the light turn red. It took her .13 sec to hit the brakes, but then the car slowed at the constant rate of 6.2 m/s2 until it stopped. How much time did it take for the car to stop moving after the light turned red.? How far did the car travel until it stopped?
    Did I plug in the right number for each symbol?

I am confuse of which equation to use and which question should I put .13s to.

First question:

V0 = 19.2 m/s
    A = -6.2 m/s 2
    Δt = ?

Δx=?

Δx = V0Δt + .5a(Δt)2

Second question:
    V0 = 19.2 m/s
    A = -6.2 m/s 2
    Δt = .13 s

Δx=?

Δx = V0Δt + .5a(Δt)2

2. Standing on a flat roof of a 21 m high building, Ali threw a ball up at a 60 degree angle to the roof top. The speed of the ball was 25 m/s. When the ball left Ali’s outstretched hand the ball was 3.1 meters from the roof top. The ball eventually landed on the roof. High far was the ball from Ali?

I never work on question related to degree, so I am pretty lost on this one.
    Vo = 25m/s
    A = -9.8 m/s 2
    Vf = 0 m/s
    Δx = ?

3. Maxim was driving his car at 15 m/s when he pressed the gas pedal down to accelerate at 5.2 m/s2. How far did he travel in the next 2.5 seconds?

I think this is correct.
    Δx = ?
    V0 = 15 m/s
    Δt = 2.5 s
    A = -5.2 m/s 2

Δx = V0Δt + .5a(Δt)2

Δx = 15 m/s (2.5 s) – 5.2 m/s 2 (2.5 s 2)

Δx = 37.5 m – 32.5 m

Δx = 5m
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    Bump!

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    1. Draw a velocity - time graph.
    2. Not sure how the rooftop and roof configuration.
    3. Why the acceleration is negative? Draw a velocity- time graph here too.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook