Question using Hubble's Constant

• Thread starter Jimmy87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discussed converting Hubble's constant in SI units of s-1 into kms-1 Mpc-1, with a given number of 2.31 x 10^-18 s-1. The solution involved re-writing the number as 2.31 x 10^-18 ms-1 m-1 and treating the numerator and denominator separately. The final answer was 71.4 kms-1 Mpc-1. It was also noted that the reasoning for the solution was somewhat correct, but the second answer given in the markscheme was incorrect due to confusion of units. Additionally, calculating the Hubble constant from the age of the universe is not a reliable method, as it is observed rather than derived
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Converting Hubble's constant in SI units of s-1 into kms-1 Mpc-1 (kilometers per second per megaparsec)
Number given is 2.31 x 10^-18 s-1.

Homework Equations

H = v/d (where H is Hubble's constant, v = velocity and d = distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see how you get the answer but it took me a while to see the reasoning for what to divide/multiply by. I reasoned that if you use H = v/d then 2.31 x 10^-18 s-1 can be re-written as 2.31 x 10^-18 ms-1 m-1 (meters per second per metre). I then treated the numerator and denominator separately. So to get from m/s to km per second you divide by 1000. Then to get from per metre to per megaparsec you multiply by the number of metres in a megaparsec. So overall you get 2.31 x 10^-18 x 3.09 x 10^22 / 1000 which gives 71.4 kms-1 Mpc-1. Using the same logic I don't understand something on the additional notes in the mark scheme for this question. I have uploaded the question and markscheme. They have shown an example of if you forget to convert hubble's constant into s-1 otherwise it will be in years-1. They then work this answer through the same way and give less marks for it however they say that the units are still kms-1 Mpc-1 at the end but that seems wrong to me. If you take hubble's constant in years-1 instead of seconds-1 and then multiply by the same number and divide by the same number surely its impossible to end up with the same final units? or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Hubble Question.docx
    511.7 KB · Views: 216
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they just give half mark because the reasonning behind it is somewhat correct and the answer if off "only" because it confuses units - but you are right, that second answer is just wrong (unless 2×10^9=71:wink:).

Note that calculating the Hubble constant from the age of the universe is rather dubious, and that constant is actually observed, not derived.

Likes Jimmy87

1. What is Hubble's Constant?

Hubble's Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It was first calculated by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and is expressed in units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc).

2. How is Hubble's Constant used in astronomy?

Hubble's Constant is used to measure the distance to faraway galaxies and to determine the age of the universe. It is also used to study the expansion and evolution of the universe.

3. How is Hubble's Constant calculated?

Hubble's Constant is calculated by measuring the redshift of light from distant objects, which is caused by the expansion of the universe. The greater the redshift, the faster the object is moving away from us. By using this information and other data, scientists can calculate the value of Hubble's Constant.

4. Why is Hubble's Constant important?

Hubble's Constant is important because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It has also helped confirm the theory of the Big Bang and provides valuable information for cosmological models.

5. Has Hubble's Constant changed over time?

Yes, the value of Hubble's Constant has changed over time as our understanding of the universe has evolved. In the 1920s, Hubble first calculated a value of 500 km/s/Mpc, but with advancements in technology and new data, the current accepted value is around 70 km/s/Mpc.