Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question while i study Modern Quantum physics by Sakurai

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    In the book of Modern Quantum physics by Sakurai
    upload_2017-3-3_22-33-37.png

I wonder how 1.6.26 can be 1.6.27.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, I'll put hats on the operators (something that perhaps Sakurai ought to have thought about):

If you set ##\mathbf{dx'} = (dx_1, 0, 0)## then ##\mathbf{\hat{K}} \cdot \mathbf{dx'} = \hat{K_1} dx_1## and (1.6.26) becomes:

##-i \mathbf{\hat{x}}\hat{K_1} dx_1 + i\hat{K_1}\mathbf{\hat{x}}dx_1 = (dx_1, 0, 0)##

Where ##dx_1## is an "infinitesimal" number and can be cancelled, and ##\mathbf{\hat{x}} = (\hat{x_1}, \hat{x_2}, \hat{x_3})##; giving:

##-i (\hat{x_1}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_1}, \ \hat{x_2}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_2},\ \hat{x_3}\hat{K_1} - \hat{K_1}\hat{x_3}) = (1, 0, 0)##

Which gives the result for ##\hat{K_1}##. Repeat for ##\mathbf{dx'} = (0, dx_2, 0)## etc.

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, @PeroK. Out of curiosity: How did you know ##{\bf x K} \cdot d{\bf x'}## was to be interpreted as ##{\bf x} \left ({\bf K} \cdot d{\bf x'} \right)## and not as ##\left ({\bf x K} \right ) \cdot d{\bf x'}## ?

5. Mar 3, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I looked at my notes and, unlike Sakurai, I tend to distinguish between operators and numbers/vectors. You have to do that at the beginning of the section/proof and keep track of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted