Question with acceleration vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas and explanations for the different options in a multiple choice question. It is concluded that option D is not always true, and the formula ##v(T + ΔT)## represents the velocity of an object at a specific time, taking into account its varying velocity. A word problem is suggested to demonstrate this concept.
goonking

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/LravIr3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know A is wrong, because a object going in a circle has acceleration (i'm not sure why that is, maybe someone can explain)

B is wrong because if a car in reverse is slowing down, it technically has positive acceleration, right?

D is wrong because refer to my explanation for B.

C and E, I have no idea what that formula is but V x T is distance but I have no idea what the formulas are implying. Anyone can shed some light on what C and E means?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula ##v(T + Δ T) ## refers to the velocity of the object at time## (T +Δ T)##.
Now can you decide if C and E are right or wrong?

Suraj M said:
The formula ##v(T + Δ T) ## refers to the velocity of the object at time## (T +Δ T)##.
Now can you decide if C and E are right or wrong?

how does velocity multiplying the time give you velocity again?

Its not multiplication, It's a way of representing the velocity at a particular time, as the velocity varies with time!

Suraj M said:
Its not multiplication, It's a way of representing the velocity at a particular time, as the velocity varies with time!
can you make up a word problem that uses v(T+ΔT)?

Okay instead of a word problem with ##V(T+ΔT)## try this.
Let ##~~ V(t) = ƒ(t)## and ##ƒ(t) = u(0) + at ##
here i used ## u(0)## itts actually ##u(t=0)## we often miss out the ##t=##
so in your question it should have been- ## v(t_2 = T+ΔT)## and ##v(t_1 = T)##
we often omit the t= to make things easier,
Its represented like this because velocity is not a constant and is a function of time, skips the steps you'd have to involve to define ##v_1 ~ and~ v_2##
its just like writing ##V(initial) and V(final)##
see this

Last edited:
answer (D) seems true
EDIT: (D) is not always true

Last edited:
goonking said:
can you make up a word problem that uses v(T+ΔT)?
Where the acceleration of a body is known to be constant, we can determine that acceleration by making two measurements of its velocity some time apart, then using the formula;

a = Δv / Δt

= ( v(T+ΔT) - v(T) ) / ΔT

NascentOxygen said:
answer (D) seems true
if I'm in a car, and I'm in reverse while increasing my speed. I'm accelerating while going backwards so my acceleration is negative. I then slow down a bit while reversing but I'm still moving backwards, my acceleration is now positive even though I'm still moving backwards. It is positive because I slowed down in reverse. How can D still be true?

goonking said:
if I'm in a car, and I'm in reverse while increasing my speed. I'm accelerating while going backwards so my acceleration is negative. I then slow down a bit while reversing but I'm still moving backwards, my acceleration is now positive even though I'm still moving backwards. It is positive because I slowed down in reverse. How can D still be true?
You are right. I was not correct because in that case (D) is not true. I'll amend my earlier post. Thanks for the correction.

1. What is acceleration vector?

Acceleration vector is a mathematical representation of the acceleration of an object. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the acceleration, and is typically denoted by a symbol such as a or acc.

2. How is acceleration vector calculated?

Acceleration vector can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity of an object by the change in time. This can be expressed mathematically as a = Δv/Δt. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity vector with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration vector and velocity vector?

Velocity vector represents the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration vector represents the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity vector shows how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration vector shows how much an object's velocity is changing and in what direction.

4. How is acceleration vector used in physics?

Acceleration vector is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the motion of objects. It is used in various equations and laws, such as Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

5. Can acceleration vector be negative?

Yes, acceleration vector can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or changing direction in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. A positive acceleration vector indicates that the object is speeding up or changing direction in the same direction as its initial velocity.