1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question with acceleration vector

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/LravIr3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know A is wrong, because a object going in a circle has acceleration (i'm not sure why that is, maybe someone can explain)

B is wrong because if a car in reverse is slowing down, it technically has positive acceleration, right?

D is wrong because refer to my explanation for B.

C and E, I have no idea what that formula is but V x T is distance but I have no idea what the formulas are implying. Anyone can shed some light on what C and E means?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

The formula ##v(T + Δ T) ## refers to the velocity of the object at time## (T +Δ T)##.
    Now can you decide if C and E are right or wrong?

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    how does velocity multiplying the time give you velocity again?

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

Suraj M

Gold Member

Its not multiplication, It's a way of representing the velocity at a particular time, as the velocity varies with time!

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5
    can you make up a word problem that uses v(T+ΔT)?

7. Feb 22, 2015 #6

Suraj M

Gold Member

Okay instead of a word problem with ##V(T+ΔT)## try this.
    Let ##~~ V(t) = ƒ(t)## and ##ƒ(t) = u(0) + at ##
    here i used ## u(0)## itts actually ##u(t=0)## we often miss out the ##t=##
    so in your question it should have been- ## v(t_2 = T+ΔT)## and ##v(t_1 = T)##
    we often omit the t= to make things easier,
    Its represented like this because velocity is not a constant and is a function of time, skips the steps you'd have to involve to define ##v_1 ~ and~ v_2##
    its just like writing ##V(initial) and V(final)##
    see this

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

answer (D) seems true
    EDIT: (D) is not always true

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  9. Feb 22, 2015 #8

NascentOxygen

Where the acceleration of a body is known to be constant, we can determine that acceleration by making two measurements of its velocity some time apart, then using the formula;

a = Δv / Δt

= ( v(T+ΔT) - v(T) ) / ΔT

10. Feb 22, 2015 #9
    if I'm in a car, and i'm in reverse while increasing my speed. I'm accelerating while going backwards so my acceleration is negative. I then slow down a bit while reversing but I'm still moving backwards, my acceleration is now positive even though i'm still moving backwards. It is positive because I slowed down in reverse. How can D still be true?

11. Feb 22, 2015 #10

NascentOxygen

You are right. I was not correct because in that case (D) is not true. I'll amend my earlier post. Thanks for the correction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted