Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question with the prove of r(t) ande r'(t) is perpendicular.

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    In the prove of [itex]\vec{r}(t) \;&\; \vec{r}'(t) \;[/itex] is perpendicular:

[tex] \vec{r}(t) \;\cdot\; \vec{r}(t) \;=\; |\vec{r}(t)|^2 \;\Rightarrow\; \frac{d}{dt}[ \vec{r}(t) \;\cdot\; \vec{r}(t)] = \vec{r}(t) \;\cdot\; \vec{r}'(t) + \vec{r}(t) \;\cdot\; \vec{r}'(t) = \frac{d}{dt}[ |\vec{r}(t)|^2] [/tex]

The book claimed since [itex]\; |\vec{r}(t)|^2 \;[/itex] is a constant, [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[ |\vec{r}(t)|^2] = 0[/itex].

Question is why [itex]\; \frac{d}{dt}[ |\vec{r}(t)|^2] = 0\;[/itex]? Let [itex]\; \vec{r}(t) = x\hat{x} + y\hat{y}[/itex]

[tex]\; \frac{d}{dt}[ |\vec{r}(t)|^2] = x^2 + y^2\;[/tex]

x and y is not a constant!!! Why [itex]\; |\vec{r}(t)|^2 \;[/itex] is a constant?!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Does r(t) describe a circular path?

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    this is what comes to my mind: If the path is circular then r(t) represents the radius of the circle at any point and the length of r(t) always equals a constant which is the radius. so its derivative must be zero everywhere. this is just another proof for this intuitive thing that the tangent line passing through a point on a circle is perpendicular to the radius of the circle.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

I found that the book did say if [itex]|\vec{r}(t)|[/itex] is constant.

My bad.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook