Proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with Closed Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the proposition that if C is a simple closed curve in the xy plane that does not enclose the origin, then the line integral of a vector field F, given by $\vec{F} = \frac{yi + xj}{x^2 + y^2}$, along C is equal to 0. However, it is proven that this proposition is incorrect as the curl of $\vec{F}$ is nonzero. A potential function is defined for a conservative vector field, and it is shown that $\vec{F}$ does have a potential function. It is also shown through a concrete counterexample that the line integral along any curve C in the given example is equal to 0. The conversation
WMDhamnekar
MHB
If C is the simple closed curve in the xy plane not enclosing the origin, how to prove that $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} =0 $ where $$ F= \frac{yi +xj}{x^2+y^2}$$

How to answer this question? Any math help will be accepted. I am working on this question. If any member of Math help board know the correct answer, may reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
This proposition is incorrect, since the curl of $\vec{F}$ is nonzero. For a concrete counterexample, let C be the positively oriented square in the plane with vertices $(1,0), (2,0), (2,1)$, and $(1,1)$. A direct computation shows $\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} ≠ 0$.

Euge said:
This proposition is incorrect, since the curl of $\vec{F}$ is nonzero. For a concrete counterexample, let C be the positively oriented square in the plane with vertices $(1,0), (2,0), (2,1)$, and $(1,1)$. A direct computation shows $\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} ≠ 0$.

1656398339229.png

A real valued function F(x,y) such that $\nabla {F(x,y)}=f(x,y)$ is called potential for f. A conservative vector field is one which has a potential.

Now, in our problem, we have to show that $\vec{F} =\frac{yi +xj}{x^2+y^2}$ is a conservative vector field (It has a potential).
Thus, a potential $\mathcal{F(x,y)}$ for $F(x,y) = \frac{yi}{x^2+y^2} + \frac{xj}{x^2+y^2}$ exists, namely,
$$ \arctan{(\frac{x}{y})} + \arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}.$$

You can verify in your example that the value of line integral F along any curve C going from (1,0) to (2,0) or from (2,0) to (2,1) or from (2,1) to (1,1) and finally from (1,1) to (1,0) will always be zero. Since by above given theorem
$$\displaystyle\int_C\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = \mathcal{F} (2,0) - \mathcal{F} (1,0) = \arctan{(\frac20)} + \arctan{(\frac02)} - \arctan{(\frac10)}-\arctan{(\frac01)} = \frac{\pi}{2} -\frac{\pi}{2} =0$$

Dhamnekar Winod said:
View attachment 11853
A real valued function F(x,y) such that $\nabla {F(x,y)}=f(x,y)$ is called potential for f. A conservative vector field is one which has a potential.

Now, in our problem, we have to show that $\vec{F} =\frac{yi +xj}{x^2+y^2}$ is a conservative vector field (It has a potential).
Thus, a potential $\mathcal{F(x,y)}$ for $F(x,y) = \frac{yi}{x^2+y^2} + \frac{xj}{x^2+y^2}$ exists, namely,
$$ \arctan{(\frac{x}{y})} + \arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}.$$

You can verify in your example that the value of line integral F along any curve C going from (1,0) to (2,0) or from (2,0) to (2,1) or from (2,1) to (1,1) and finally from (1,1) to (1,0) will always be zero. Since by above given theorem
$$\displaystyle\int_C\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = \mathcal{F} (2,0) - \mathcal{F} (1,0) = \arctan{(\frac20)} + \arctan{(\frac02)} - \arctan{(\frac10)}-\arctan{(\frac01)} = \frac{\pi}{2} -\frac{\pi}{2} =0$$
A potential function exists if and only if the curl of the vector field is zero. Here we have \(\displaystyle \nabla \times \left ( \dfrac{y}{x^2 + y^2} \hat{i} + \dfrac{x}{x^2 + y^2} \hat{j} \right ) = - \dfrac{2 (x^2 - y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} \hat{k}\).

-Dan

topsquark said:
A potential function exists if and only if the curl of the vector field is zero. Here we have \(\displaystyle \nabla \times \left ( \dfrac{y}{x^2 + y^2} \hat{i} + \dfrac{x}{x^2 + y^2} \hat{j} \right ) = - \dfrac{2 (x^2 - y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} \hat{k}\).

-Dan
$\nabla \times \bigg(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{x}{x^2+y^2},0\bigg)= \begin{vmatrix} i & j & k \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{y}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{z}} \\ \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} & \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = \hat{i} (0 - 0) +\hat{j} (0 - 0) + \hat{k} \bigg(\frac{-2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2} -\frac{-2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\bigg)= 0 $

My computation of curl of conservative vector field is zero. How is that?(Bigsmile)(Clapping)

Last edited:
Dhamnekar Winod said:
$\nabla \times \bigg(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{x}{x^2+y^2},0\bigg)= \begin{vmatrix} i & j & k \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{y}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{z}} \\ \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} & \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} & 0 \end{vmatrix} = \hat{i} (0 - 0) +\hat{j} (0 - 0) + \hat{k} \bigg(\frac{-2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2} -\frac{-2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\bigg)= 0 $

My computation of curl of conservative vector field is zero. How is that?(Bigsmile)(Clapping)
A typo? Check the (3,2) component.
\begin{vmatrix} i & j & k \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{y}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{z}} \\ \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} & \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} & 0 \end{vmatrix}

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{ \partial }{ \partial x} \dfrac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - \dfrac{ \partial }{ \partial y} \dfrac{y}{x^2 + y^2} = \dfrac{((x^2 + y^2) - x(2x) ) - ((x^2 + y^2) - y(2y) }{ (x^2 + y^2)^2} = -2 \dfrac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2}\)

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
topsquark said:
A typo? Check the (3,2) component.
\begin{vmatrix} i & j & k \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{y}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{z}} \\ \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} & \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} & 0 \end{vmatrix}

-Dan
Thanks. I corrected that now. You are correct. Curl of $\vec{f}$ is nonzero.

Last edited:

What does it mean to prove $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve?

Proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve means showing that the line integral of a vector field $\vec{F}$ over a closed curve $C$ is equal to zero. This is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and has applications in physics and engineering.

Why is it important to prove $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve?

Proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve is important because it allows us to determine if a vector field is conservative. If the line integral is equal to zero, then the vector field is conservative and can be described by a potential function. This has practical applications in solving physical problems involving forces and work.

What are the steps involved in proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve?

The steps involved in proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve are: 1) parameterizing the curve $C$, 2) computing the dot product $\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}$, 3) evaluating the integral over the parameterized curve, and 4) showing that the result is equal to zero. This can be done using various techniques such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or Green's theorem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve are: 1) not properly parameterizing the curve, 2) forgetting to include the bounds of integration, 3) making errors in the calculation of the dot product, and 4) overlooking the fact that the curve must be closed for the integral to equal zero.

What are some real-world applications of proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve?

Some real-world applications of proving $\displaystyle\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = 0$ with a closed curve include: 1) calculating the work done by a conservative force, 2) determining the path of a particle moving under the influence of a conservative force, 3) solving problems in electrostatics and magnetostatics, and 4) analyzing fluid flow in engineering and physics.