1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about American universities

  1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    Hello there,
    First of all I'd like you to know that
    I'm a permanent resident (Green Card holder), I'm going to graduate from high school in Egypt next year,
    I'm looking forward to applying for a college in the states, but I've been wondering how will they calculate my GPA, will my GPA be based on certain tests I have to do in the U.S, or will they calculate an equivalent GPA according to my grade in Egypt? Will the college deal with me as an international student although I'm a permanent resident? AND if I'm applying for a scholarship what are the requirements?
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2014 #2
    For your first question, I think you should ask the admissions staffs of the universities you are applying to.

    In large public universities, there are many scholarships for international/non-citizen students. If you are planning to attend such universities, I recommend you that you apply as much as can, and also look for trait-specific scholarships (ethnicity, interest in the field of studies, disabilities, etc...). Unfortunately, permanent residents are assessed out-of-state tuition, which is less expensive than non-resident but more expensive than in-state.

    For small private universites/liberal arts colleges, I cannot tell you too much, but I assume there are scholarships that may apply to you, just like the ones in large public universities. Good thing is that citizens and non-citizens are due same tuition.
  4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    Disclaimer: I'm a grad student. When you're a PR you are considered a domestic student and held to the same standards as an American student for admissions purposes and pay the same fees. But if your country's grading system is different from the US (as was mine), all you can do is get an official English translation of your degree and grades to accompany your transcript and hope for the best. I would not bother with GPA conversion scales or conversion services, they vary wildly and are IME a poor reflection of preparation/performance. Let the department you are applying to look at your application as it is.

    You will have to take the SAT's and TOEFL, these are independent of your high school grades.

    I also happen to have received a fellowship as a PR. Some fellowships/scholarships (ie: NSF, NASA) require citizenship, but some departmental/university scholarships are also open to permanent residents.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. Jun 23, 2014 #4

    The likelihood of receiving a scholarship is independent of the GPA, SAT grade ??

    And are you sure I'll be a domestic student as long as I'm a PR although my high school was in a foreign country ??
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook