Questions about CS coursework/grad school

• Schools
  • Thread starter myranaira
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs School
In summary, the person asking the questions is a sophomore physics major considering going to graduate school in engineering. They have questions about self-studying programming languages and if it will be sufficient for grad schools or employers, and if they can write "self-taught C++" on their resume. They also ask about transitioning from physics to engineering in grad school and the difference between professional engineering certification and academic-style research degrees. The expert suggests taking basic engineering courses in the desired discipline and mentions the importance of computer programming in science and engineering. They also mention that simulation and data analysis are becoming increasingly important in engineering.
myranaira
I have a few questions that I would like answered from people who have either taught themselves CS subjects or who were physics majors for UG and then went on to grad school in engineering. For reference, I am a rising sophomore physics major in the US, with plans to go to grad school in engineering.

My questions are:
- I will be required to take at least 2 introductory CS courses as part of my major. Beyond that, would self-studying additional programming languages and taking on small projects through work/internships/volunteering suffice to demonstrate my knowledge beyond those two courses to grad schools or employers?
- As a more specific question, the courses taught at my school will be taught in Java and Fortran, but I'd like to teach myself basic programming concepts in C++ over this summer. Would it be alright to write something like "self-taught C++" on my resume, particularly when applying for REUs and the like next summer when I am a rising junior?
- Will I have to take a lot of catch-up courses when transitioning from UG physics to graduate engineering, and will it hinder me from receiving my graduate degree on time?
- When pursuing a graduate degree in engineering, is there a difference between pursuing a degree for professional engineering certification and a degree more geared towards academic-style research? If so, is it difficult to switch between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Graduate school builds on the undergraduate program in the same field - so engineering graduate school presumes an engineering undergraduate degree or the equivalent. If you want to go to engineering grad school, since you are still a freshman, the best thing to do is to change your major to engineering.

myranaira said:
My questions are:
- I will be required to take at least 2 introductory CS courses as part of my major. Beyond that, would self-studying additional programming languages and taking on small projects through work/internships/volunteering suffice to demonstrate my knowledge beyond those two courses to grad schools or employers?
Work through school or in an internship is a possibility. My company has hired students during the summer, though they are usually from the local area and major in math, physics or engineering. CS is a plus - particularly knowledge of C++ and/or Fortran.
- As a more specific question, the courses taught at my school will be taught in Java and Fortran, but I'd like to teach myself basic programming concepts in C++ over this summer. Would it be alright to write something like "self-taught C++" on my resume, particularly when applying for REUs and the like next summer when I am a rising junior?
Sure. One would probably have to demonstrate one's proficiency at C++.
- Will I have to take a lot of catch-up courses when transitioning from UG physics to graduate engineering, and will it hinder me from receiving my graduate degree on time?
- When pursuing a graduate degree in engineering, is there a difference between pursuing a degree for professional engineering certification and a degree more geared towards academic-style research? If so, is it difficult to switch between the two?
That depends. What engineering discipline is of interest. While it is possible that a physics undergrad can migrate into engineering, e.g., nuclear engineering, one might have to take several remedial courses (senior level or equivalent) depending on the engineering discipline.

If one is interested in graduate engineering, then I'd recommend taking some basic engineering courses in the particular discipline of interest.

Computer programming is more or less indispensable in science and engineering these days. In my nuclear engineering program, we were required to take a class in programming (Fortran then, and probably C++, or both, now). Several courses in reactor physics, plant design and simulation, and thermal-hydraulics required developing and using computer programs to solve problems. These days, simulation, particularly multiphysics simulation is becoming everso important/critical to one's engineering function. My colleagues and I do a lot of programming for simulations and data analysis. My company does R&D, applications and analysis.

1. What classes should I take in undergrad to prepare for CS grad school?

It is generally recommended to take a mix of computer science, math, and science courses in undergrad to prepare for CS grad school. Some specific classes that are commonly recommended include data structures and algorithms, discrete math, and statistics.

2. Is it necessary to have a computer science background to pursue a CS graduate degree?

While having a computer science background can be helpful, it is not always necessary to pursue a CS graduate degree. Many programs offer prerequisite courses for students without a CS background and some even offer bridge programs to help students transition into the field.

3. How important are research experiences in CS grad school applications?

Research experiences can greatly strengthen a CS grad school application, as they demonstrate a student's interest and potential in conducting research. However, they are not always necessary and other factors such as GPA and letters of recommendation also play a significant role in the admissions process.

4. How can I stand out in my CS grad school application?

In addition to having a strong academic background, there are several ways to stand out in a CS grad school application. These include having relevant work or research experience, strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and showcasing any personal projects or achievements in the field.

5. How can I prepare for CS coursework in grad school?

One way to prepare for CS coursework in grad school is to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of computer science, such as data structures and algorithms, before starting the program. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can help you succeed in your coursework.