Questions about moisture and materials

• Thread starter Another
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary: Thread closed for Moderation...Thread re-opened after merging two duplicate threads in different forums.If you don't want to 'destroy' the material by removing the water, you could always take a representative sample and analyse that, destructively. It all depends on how much you know about the material. You could look for EM absorption. Loads of methods come to mind but the context has to be 'revealed'.
Another
TL;DR Summary
Q :
1 Materials that can control moisture in themselves ?
2 Materials that know moisture content without measuring ?
3 The material has a uniform moisture distribution ?
Q :
1 Materials that can control moisture in themselves ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)
2 Materials that know moisture content without measuring ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)
3 The material has a uniform moisture distribution ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)Please give an example to me

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Other, :wink:

What have you come up with in your search so far ?
Or is throwing the question at PF your first step ? (It shouldn't be)

Might this be homework ?

Another said:
Q :
1 Materials that can control moisture in themselves ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)
2 Materials that know moisture content without measuring ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)
3 The material has a uniform moisture distribution ? (I want to know which material has properties similar to this.)Please give an example to me
Please provide more detail about what you are trying to do. These questions are very vague.

russ_watters said:
Please provide more detail about what you are trying to do. These questions are very vague.

I want to do a project on moisture measuring materials. Therefore, now need to try to find a material with a certain moisture content to reference the measurements.

BvU said:
Hello Other, :wink:

What have you come up with in your search so far ?
Or is throwing the question at PF your first step ? (It shouldn't be)

Might this be homework ?

I'm sorry isn't homwork. I just want to know, maybe someone in here can answer this question

Likes russ_watters and Another
Summary: How to measure moisture content in non-drying materials?

Summary: How to measure moisture content in non-drying materials?

How to measure moisture content in non-drying materials?

Can you give us more context? Solid, liquid, gas materials? Destructive/non-destructive, remote/contact, batch/continuous sensing?

anorlunda said:
Can you give us more context? Solid, liquid, gas materials? Destructive/non-destructive, remote/contact, batch/continuous sensing?
Moisture content in solid materials.
Is the measurement of moisture content in materials using methods other than drying.
Can you give an example if you know?

Assuming the material is open celled then you could weigh it and then dry it out and weigh it again. That would be a reliable but cumbersome way. I have bought a few different soil dampness meters and they are not very convincing.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread re-opened after merging two duplicate threads in different forums.

@Another -- Please do not create multiple threads on the same question. Also, you must show your effort in this thread, or it will be closed. And despite your assurance that this is not for schoolwork, the thread may end up getting moved to the Homework forums at some point. Thank you.

Likes Another
sophiecentaur said:
Assuming the material is open celled

Can you explain more about the material is open celled

I mean that there is a pathway for the water to get out - like a washing sponge, as opposed to the sponge used in non-pneumatic tyres. But I now realize that my comment is garbage in the context of the OP.

If you don't want to 'destroy' the material by removing the water, you could always take a representative sample and analyse that, destructively. It all depends on how much you know about the material. You could look for EM absorption. Loads of methods come to mind but the context has to be 'revealed'.

Likes Another

1. What is the relationship between moisture and materials?

Moisture and materials have a complex relationship, as moisture can greatly affect the properties and performance of various materials. For example, moisture can cause materials to expand, contract, warp, or weaken, depending on the type of material. It can also promote the growth of mold and other microorganisms, which can further degrade the material.

2. How does moisture affect different types of materials?

Moisture can affect different materials in different ways. For example, wood can absorb moisture and swell, while metals can corrode when exposed to moisture. Fabrics and paper can become weak and discolored when damp, and electronic components can malfunction if they get wet. It is important to understand the specific properties of a material and how moisture can impact them.

3. What are the common sources of moisture that can damage materials?

There are several common sources of moisture that can damage materials, including humidity, rain, leaks, spills, and condensation. Humidity refers to the amount of moisture in the air, and high humidity levels can cause materials to absorb moisture. Rain, leaks, and spills can directly introduce moisture to materials, while condensation can occur when warm air meets a cold surface.

4. How can moisture damage be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize moisture damage to materials, it is important to control the levels of moisture in the surrounding environment. This can be done through proper ventilation, dehumidifiers, and waterproofing measures. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain materials to identify and address any potential sources of moisture.

5. Can moisture damage be reversed?

In some cases, moisture damage to materials can be reversed, but it largely depends on the extent of the damage and the type of material. For example, wood can sometimes be dried and restored, but severe warping or rot may be irreversible. It is important to address moisture damage as soon as possible to increase the chances of successful restoration.