Questions about vectors and derivatives.

In summary, the conversation is about a student who failed their math exam due to not having taken enough math classes in high school and is now seeking to learn the specific materials needed to solve problems. They provide examples of questions from the exam and ask for guidance on the subjects they should learn to be able to answer them. It is suggested that they need to take a course in calculus and any necessary prerequisites.
mmootjeuh

Homework Statement

I failed my math exam last year (first year of college) because I basically had no math classes during my last two years of high school. So I would like to learn the specific materials to be able to solve these problems.
So I guess this isn't a traditional question, but I do have some question examples from the exam, I have absolutely no idea how to go about answering them, but I'm supposed to know.
I was thinking of using online resources to catch up (maybe Khan Academy?) and to be ultimately able to do this.2. Relevant questions
  1. Let V be a real vectorial space of dimension 3. Let's take a non free minimal part Y of V (ie. Y is not free but the retraction of whatever vector from Y gives a free part) a) Show that such a part has maximum 4 vectors b) What are all the cardinals of such parts?
  2. Give the Cartesian equation perpendicular to the right of the equations of the plan ℝ³
    x = k+2
    y = 2k+3
    z = 3k+4
  3. Let f : ]0,1[ → ℝ be a derivable function. Let us suppose that exactly two points of ]0,1[ give us a minimum of f, and that these two minimums in question are strict locals (without necessarily being equals). In this case, the number of points of ]0,1[ that give a strict local maximum of f can only take a few values. Give the set of these values and justify.
  4. Let us consider the function ℝ² → ℝ : (x,y) ↦ 2x² + 3y² + 5x + 7y. For [tex]\overrightarrow{v} = (1,1)[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow{w} = (1,2)[/tex] two vectors linked by (0,0), calculate the first-order partial derivatives and directional derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

That's it. And by no means am I asking anyone to solve them for me, not that. Like I said, I haven't the slightest clue how to solve these. So if you could just like tell me the names of the subjects I should be learning to be able to answer these in the future so that I can get started on it, it would mean the world to me.
I've looked around and this seemed the most appropriate part of the forum to post this, if it isn't then please tell me so that I can fix it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make any sense of your first question, probably a language thing. But it looks to me like you need a course in calculus plus any prerequisites for calculus that you are missing.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical concept that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents the magnitude.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, the speed of a car is a scalar quantity (50 mph), while its velocity (50 mph north) is a vector quantity.

How do you add vectors?

To add two vectors, you must add their corresponding components (x and y for 2D vectors, x, y, and z for 3D vectors). This can be done graphically by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first to the head of the second.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is used to calculate rates of change and is an important tool in calculus.

How do you calculate the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of a derivative or by using differentiation rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.