1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about physics and mathematics majors in college and courses?

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    1. Is it hard to get 2 masters degrees (applied mathematics and chaos physics).
    2. Do you need to take english and history when getting your bachleors degree? masters degree?
    3. What courses would you have to take if you need to get those degrees?
    4. What are your advice to succeed in getting those degrees?
    5. What can I do now as a high school sophomore to prepare (I'm taking AP physics 1 and trigonometry now)?
    6. What has helped you succeed in getting those degrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Probably yes. Most colleges and universities in the US require bachelors' students to take some number of general-education courses. It varies. See specific schools' web sites for details.

No.

Colleges and universities list their degree requirements on their web sites.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    Curriculum varies from college to college. For example at Washington University there is only one required course - freshman writing.

At the University of Chicago there is a rigorous core curriculum that will be demanding in every subject. Check each university's website and see what their graduation requirements are.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not really a question of how difficult it might be, rather, why one might want to pursue two master's degrees in similar subject areas. Once you do one, I'm sure you could do the other, but you have to look at why you might be doing it. There could be good reasons, of course. Lot's of people do a master's degree in a more professional area after completing one in a more academic one to improve their job prospects, for example. But the general progression is to follow a master's with a PhD in a similar field. In the US, it's a lot more common to jump right into a PhD program after completing a bachelor's degree.

Most STEM programs will come with a set of electives - courses that you have to complete to finish your degree. You often have freedom as to the specifics, but there are some limitations. For example you will have to have so many humanities credits - usually a course or two. If English really isn't your thing, then there are often very interesting alternatives. When deciding on a school, make sure you look specifically at the required content of the programs. If a school will force you into something you don't want - don't go there. At the same time, try to keep an open mind. A lot of stuff that I didn't like in high school I gained an appreciation for later on.

There's a lot of them, but you can get a good feeling for what's required by looking up a few undergraduate programs in physics or applied math.

Be aware of what you're getting yourself into, and why you have decided to pursue either of those degrees. Both are very academic in nature and while they may satisfy your curiosity, eventually you'll finish them and be faced with making a living for yourself. So pick up some marketable skills along the way.

Don't be so concerned with jumping through hoops that you forget what it is that you're pursuing.
    Read. A lot.
    Take time to enjoy your high school years.

Not that I have either of those degrees specifically, but see the above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook