Questions about physics and mathematics majors in college and courses?

In summary: Also, find a group of like-minded people and learn from each other. Chances are you won't succeed without help from others.In summary, it is possible to obtain two masters degrees in similar subject areas, but it is important to consider the reasons for pursuing them. In most STEM programs, there are elective courses that must be completed, including some humanities credits. It is important to research the required curriculum for each program and keep an open mind. To succeed in obtaining these degrees, it is important to be aware of the academic nature of the programs and to gain marketable skills. As a high school student, it is important to focus on the pursuit of knowledge and to enjoy your time in high school. Additionally, finding a
petormojer
1. Is it hard to get 2 masters degrees (applied mathematics and chaos physics).
2. Do you need to take english and history when getting your bachleors degree? masters degree?
3. What courses would you have to take if you need to get those degrees?
4. What are your advice to succeed in getting those degrees?
5. What can I do now as a high school sophomore to prepare (I'm taking AP physics 1 and trigonometry now)?
6. What has helped you succeed in getting those degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
petormojer said:
2. Do you need to take english and history when getting your bachleors degree?

Probably yes. Most colleges and universities in the US require bachelors' students to take some number of general-education courses. It varies. See specific schools' web sites for details.

masters degree?

No.

Colleges and universities list their degree requirements on their web sites.

Curriculum varies from college to college. For example at Washington University there is only one required course - freshman writing.

At the University of Chicago there is a rigorous core curriculum that will be demanding in every subject. Check each university's website and see what their graduation requirements are.

petormojer said:
1. Is it hard to get 2 masters degrees (applied mathematics and chaos physics).
It's not really a question of how difficult it might be, rather, why one might want to pursue two master's degrees in similar subject areas. Once you do one, I'm sure you could do the other, but you have to look at why you might be doing it. There could be good reasons, of course. Lot's of people do a master's degree in a more professional area after completing one in a more academic one to improve their job prospects, for example. But the general progression is to follow a master's with a PhD in a similar field. In the US, it's a lot more common to jump right into a PhD program after completing a bachelor's degree.

2. Do you need to take english and history when getting your bachleors degree? masters degree?
Most STEM programs will come with a set of electives - courses that you have to complete to finish your degree. You often have freedom as to the specifics, but there are some limitations. For example you will have to have so many humanities credits - usually a course or two. If English really isn't your thing, then there are often very interesting alternatives. When deciding on a school, make sure you look specifically at the required content of the programs. If a school will force you into something you don't want - don't go there. At the same time, try to keep an open mind. A lot of stuff that I didn't like in high school I gained an appreciation for later on.

There's a lot of them, but you can get a good feeling for what's required by looking up a few undergraduate programs in physics or applied math.

4. What are your advice to succeed in getting those degrees?
Be aware of what you're getting yourself into, and why you have decided to pursue either of those degrees. Both are very academic in nature and while they may satisfy your curiosity, eventually you'll finish them and be faced with making a living for yourself. So pick up some marketable skills along the way.

5. What can I do now as a high school sophomore to prepare (I'm taking AP physics 1 and trigonometry now)?
Don't be so concerned with jumping through hoops that you forget what it is that you're pursuing.
Read. A lot.
Take time to enjoy your high school years.

6. What has helped you succeed in getting those degrees?
Not that I have either of those degrees specifically, but see the above.

1. It can be challenging to obtain two masters degrees in different subjects, such as applied mathematics and chaos physics. Both of these fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, so it is important to have a strong background in these subjects before pursuing these degrees. Additionally, the coursework and research involved in these programs can be rigorous and demanding. It is important to be prepared for the workload and to have a passion for these subjects in order to succeed.

2. The specific requirements for a bachelor's or master's degree can vary depending on the institution and program. However, it is common for undergraduate programs in physics and mathematics to have some general education requirements, including courses in English and history. These courses can provide a well-rounded education and may also be beneficial for developing critical thinking and communication skills.

3. The specific courses required for a degree in applied mathematics or chaos physics will also vary depending on the program. Generally, these degrees will include courses in advanced mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine the specific course requirements.

4. My advice for succeeding in obtaining these degrees would be to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a passion for these subjects. It is also important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek help when needed. Additionally, actively participating in research and seeking out internships or other hands-on experiences can greatly enhance your understanding and skills in these fields.

5. As a high school sophomore, it is great that you are already taking AP physics and trigonometry. These courses will provide a solid foundation for further studies in physics and mathematics. I would also recommend taking as many advanced math and science courses as possible, as well as seeking out opportunities for research and internships in these fields.

6. Personally, what has helped me succeed in obtaining my degrees in physics and mathematics is having a strong passion for these subjects and continuously seeking out opportunities for hands-on experiences and research. Additionally, staying organized, managing my time effectively, and seeking help from professors and peers when needed has been crucial. It is also important to stay motivated and persevere through any challenges you may encounter.

1. What is the difference between a physics major and a mathematics major?

A physics major focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while a mathematics major focuses on the study of numbers, shapes, and their relationships. Physics majors typically take more science and lab-based courses, while mathematics majors take more theoretical and abstract courses.

2. What are some common courses required for a physics major?

Common courses for a physics major include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and calculus-based mathematics courses. Some programs may also require courses in optics, astronomy, and experimental physics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to major in physics?

While a strong foundation in math is important for understanding the principles of physics, many undergraduate physics programs offer introductory math courses for students who may not have a strong background. However, as students progress in their studies, a solid understanding of math becomes increasingly important.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are helpful for success in a physics or mathematics major?

Some helpful skills and qualities for success in these majors include a strong analytical and problem-solving mindset, attention to detail, critical thinking skills, and a strong work ethic. Good time management and the ability to work well in a team are also important for completing projects and assignments.

5. What are some potential career paths for physics and mathematics majors?

Physics and mathematics majors can pursue a variety of career paths, including research and development roles in the fields of engineering, technology, and finance. They can also work as data analysts, actuaries, or in education as teachers or professors. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in their field of study.