1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about spherical conductor

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge Q is placed at the center of a conducting spherical shell of inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. The sphere has no net charge.

Ok, I have some statements for this setup. Would you be kind to check them?

3. The attempt at a solution

1) The electric field in a distance R < R1 from the pointcharge Q is the electric field coming from the charge itself.

2) The electric field in a distance R1 < R < R2 is zero (E-field zero inside a conductor always).

3) In a distance R > R2 the electric field is only coming from the point charge, since the conductor has no net charge.

4) The formula for the electric field outside a conductor: E = (sigma/epsilon_0)n. Does this only apply to the outside surface of a conductor, or also the inside surface? (In this case the inside-surface of the spherical shell)
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

If one puts a charge Q (assumed positive) in the center of a spherical 'conductor', what happens to the charges in the conductor (which if neutral, has a balance of - and + charges)?
  4. May 10, 2008 #3
    The positive charges go to the outer surface and the negative charges go to the inner surface.
  5. May 10, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

What can one say about the charge densities of the inner and outer surfaces?
  6. May 10, 2008 #5
    Charge-density is the charge per area, and since the charge is the same with different sign, I guess the only thing that makes them vary is the area.
  7. May 10, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

what's the definition of a conductor?
    Reilly Atkinson
  8. May 10, 2008 #7
    The electric field inside is zero?

Am I way off with my answers in #1?
  9. May 10, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1, 2, and 3 look good to me. I'd have to think (more than I have time for at the moment!) about #4.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?