Questions about spherical conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a point charge Q placed at the center of a conducting spherical shell with inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. The sphere has no net charge. The statements made include the electric field inside the shell being zero, the electric field outside only coming from the point charge, and the formula for the electric field outside a conductor. There is also a question about the charge density of the inner and outer surfaces of the conductor, and a discussion about the definition of a conductor. The conversation also includes a question about the electric field inside the conductor.
Niles

Homework Statement

A charge Q is placed at the center of a conducting spherical shell of inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. The sphere has no net charge.

Ok, I have some statements for this setup. Would you be kind to check them?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) The electric field in a distance R < R1 from the pointcharge Q is the electric field coming from the charge itself.

2) The electric field in a distance R1 < R < R2 is zero (E-field zero inside a conductor always).

3) In a distance R > R2 the electric field is only coming from the point charge, since the conductor has no net charge.

4) The formula for the electric field outside a conductor: E = (sigma/epsilon_0)n. Does this only apply to the outside surface of a conductor, or also the inside surface? (In this case the inside-surface of the spherical shell)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If one puts a charge Q (assumed positive) in the center of a spherical 'conductor', what happens to the charges in the conductor (which if neutral, has a balance of - and + charges)?

The positive charges go to the outer surface and the negative charges go to the inner surface.

What can one say about the charge densities of the inner and outer surfaces?

Charge-density is the charge per area, and since the charge is the same with different sign, I guess the only thing that makes them vary is the area.

what's the definition of a conductor?
Regards,.
Reilly Atkinson

The electric field inside is zero?

Am I way off with my answers in #1?

1, 2, and 3 look good to me. I'd have to think (more than I have time for at the moment!) about #4.

1. What is a spherical conductor?

A spherical conductor is a type of conductor that has a symmetrical, spherical shape. It is often made of metal and has a uniform distribution of charge on its surface.

2. How does a spherical conductor differ from other conductors?

A spherical conductor differs from other conductors in its shape and charge distribution. Unlike other conductors, which may have irregular shapes and varying charge distributions, a spherical conductor has a uniform charge distribution on its surface due to its symmetrical shape.

3. What are some real-life examples of spherical conductors?

Some real-life examples of spherical conductors include lightning rods, metal spheres used in Van de Graaff generators, and the Earth itself, which can be considered a giant spherical conductor due to its high concentration of charged particles in the ionosphere.

4. How does the electric field inside a spherical conductor differ from that of an external electric field?

The electric field inside a spherical conductor is zero, regardless of the strength or direction of the external electric field. This is due to the fact that the charges on the surface of the conductor will redistribute themselves in such a way that cancels out the effects of the external electric field inside the conductor.

5. Can a spherical conductor hold a charge?

Yes, a spherical conductor can hold a charge on its surface. However, the charge will always remain on the surface and will not penetrate into the interior of the conductor. This is due to the repulsive forces between like charges, which push the charges to the surface of the conductor.