Questions about Undergrad Degree in Physics

In summary, people believe that the school you attend for your undergraduate degree is not the deciding factor for getting into grad school. However, your grades, test scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation are much, much stronger factors.
Thadis
Hello I am a high school senior just about start applying to colleges. I am looking at schools to go to and get an undergrad degree in physics in but can't really find any information about which schools are the "good" schools really besides ones like MIT, Stanford and others I probably will not be able to make it into. Currently I am looking to apply to the University of Washington, University of Oregon, and possible University of California. I am wondering would all of these schools have a strong enough program to give me a high chance of getting accepted into a masters or Ph. D program? Also are there any other good schools around the western part of the US that have a good undergrad physics program? Also one last thing, I was also thinking about maybe minoring(or double majoring) in either a computer degree or a math degree and I was wondering which would be a better one to go for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is anyone able to answer my question? just am trying to get some insight on how I should proceed with my applying to colleges since I do not have anyone in my local community I can really talk to about my future degree plans

People can get into good graduate programs from pretty much any undergrad college or university, even if it isn't that highly ranked. There are a lot of schools out there. You know what the really prestigious schools are; beyond that just buy one of those big college guide books and do some reading online. There are a LOT of factors to consider other than the strength of the physics program. By all means, try to get into the best schools you can and make sure that the departments you are interested in are considered strong (by the students at the school, first of all). Make sure you will be happy at the place because it is going to be four years of your life, and hopefully four of the happiest and most fun. Just do well and get some research experience during the summers, and don't worry too much about grad school yet.

for undergrad you should worry more about saving time (transport) and money (fees), the upside of more expensive unversities is (supposedly) better funding which hopefully translate to better equipments in labs.

Thadis said:
Hello I am a high school senior just about start applying to colleges. I am looking at schools to go to and get an undergrad degree in physics in but can't really find any information about which schools are the "good" schools really besides ones like MIT, Stanford and others I probably will not be able to make it into. Currently I am looking to apply to the University of Washington, University of Oregon, and possible University of California. I am wondering would all of these schools have a strong enough program to give me a high chance of getting accepted into a masters or Ph. D program? Also are there any other good schools around the western part of the US that have a good undergrad physics program? Also one last thing, I was also thinking about maybe minoring(or double majoring) in either a computer degree or a math degree and I was wondering which would be a better one to go for?

The schools you mentioned have excellent undergrad physics programs.

As a general rule, the school you attend for your bachelor's degree isn't the deciding factor for getting into grad school. Your undergrad grades, test scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation are much, much stronger factors.

OK thanks everyone for the replies that was what I was thinking it probably would be but just wanted to check. And would a minor in computer programming, Computer and Information Technology or Computer and Information Science i think is what I would be looking at from the University of Oregon, be more helpful for me in the long run then a minor in math? Assuming if I do stick with my physics degree that I will not be doing theoretical physics if that is a factor too. Thanks again for all this help it is really helping with my college search.

1. What can I do with an undergrad degree in physics?

With an undergrad degree in physics, you can pursue a variety of career paths. Some popular options include working as a research scientist, engineer, data analyst, or teacher. You can also continue your education and pursue a graduate degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field.

2. Is a physics degree a good choice for someone who wants to go into finance or business?

A physics degree can be a valuable asset in finance and business careers. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through studying physics can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions. Many companies value the critical thinking abilities and quantitative skills that physics graduates possess.

3. What are the required courses for an undergrad degree in physics?

The specific required courses will vary by university, but most programs will include courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. In addition, students will typically take courses in mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

4. How can I prepare for a degree in physics during high school?

If you are interested in pursuing a degree in physics, it is beneficial to take courses in math, physics, and chemistry in high school. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for your undergraduate studies. You can also participate in science fairs, research projects, and summer programs to gain hands-on experience and develop your interest in physics.

5. What skills will I develop through an undergrad degree in physics?

Studying physics will help you develop a variety of skills that are highly valued in the job market. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, mathematical modeling, and experimental design. You will also gain proficiency in computer programming, communication, and teamwork through lab work and projects. These skills are transferable to many different careers and will make you a strong candidate for a variety of jobs.