Questions on DNA recombinant DNA technology?

In summary: Celsius. Normal DNA polymerases would denature at 90 degrees Celsius, but Taq DNA polymerase is able to withstand the high temperatures used in PCR, so it does not denature at 72 degrees Celsius.In question 2, longer DNA fragments do have a greater negative charge due to the increased number of phosphate groups. However, the magnitude of the charge may not be significantly different for fragments that are only a few base pairs different in length. Other factors, such as the shape and conformation of the molecule, can also affect its movement in the gel.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

I'm not very good at this area, so I tried to do some questions to get better, but I have many confusions as a result. This is not homework, I hope you can help me. Thank you :smile:

These are true, false questions.

*Restriction fragment length polymorphism can be used to carry out prenatal diagnosis?
I understand the concept, so I think this is true, if you use fetal tissues.
*Gel electrophoresis can be used to measure the length of the DNA accurately?
I can see how if you have standard fragment of known size you can do this but how can the distance of a fragment exactly give the size of the molecule. In electrophoresis particles with different sizes can end up at the same place due to other factors like charge and resistance. So is this false.
*Genetic engineering does not theoretically provide a care for enzyme deficiency?
This is false right
*DNA polymerase is denatured when enzymatic extension takes place at 72 degrees celcius?
I know Taq DNA polymerase is used so it wouldn't denature like dna polymerase. But I'm not sure if normal DNA polymerase denatures at 72 or 90 when melting of dna takes place?
*Isolated DNA can be rapidly sequenced by either chemical method or enzymatic method?
Not sure
*Blotting and hybridization techniques are important in the identification of the specific DNA and RNA fragment?
Here is probing considered a form of hybridization. I think this is faily true, but I don't think blotting can use RNA. Can it
*Polyacrilamide gel are used to separate DNA fragements with more than 500 nucleotides?
polyacrylamide gels to separate DNA fragments differing by a single base-pair in length , that is what wiki says. But I still don't get the answer.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
1) You are correct, this is true.

2) You are correct that electrophoresis separates particles on factors other than size. However, these other factors, such as charge and resistance, also depend on the length of the DNA molecule. For example, the charge of the DNA molecule scales linearly with its length. Therefore, gel electrophoresis can be used to accurately measure the length of a DNA fragment.

3) In theory genetic engineering could cure an enzyme deficiency (provided the enzyme deficiency is due to a genetic disorder). In practice, this is very difficult.

4) Normal DNA polymerases would denature at the high temperatures used in a PCR reaction. Taq DNA polymerase, isolated from a thermophilic hot springs bacterium, however, does not denature at these high temperatures.

5) I'd say this is true, though might depend on one's definition of rapid.

6) Yes, blotting can be used to identify RNAs. Blotting to probe for specific DNA sequences is a technique called Southern blotting as it was invented by a man named Edwin Southern. The names of blotting methods invented subsequently play on the geographical naming theme. Blotting to probe for specific RNA sequences (a common technique to see whether a cell is expressing a certain mRNA) is called Northern blotting. A blot that detects specific proteins is called a Western blot.

7) There are two main substrates used for gel electrophoresis: agarose and polyacrylamide. Polyacrylamide gels have much smaller pore sizes than agarose gels and therefore provide higher resolution (able to separate strands differing by one base pair). The small pore size, however, means that polyacrylamide gels are unable to separate very large fragments of DNA. Agarose gel electrophoresis is much better suited for separation of DNA fragments greater than 500bp.

Ygggdrasil said:
1) You are correct, this is true.

2) You are correct that electrophoresis separates particles on factors other than size. However, these other factors, such as charge and resistance, also depend on the length of the DNA molecule. For example, the charge of the DNA molecule scales linearly with its length. Therefore, gel electrophoresis can be used to accurately measure the length of a DNA fragment.

3) In theory genetic engineering could cure an enzyme deficiency (provided the enzyme deficiency is due to a genetic disorder). In practice, this is very difficult.

4) Normal DNA polymerases would denature at the high temperatures used in a PCR reaction. Taq DNA polymerase, isolated from a thermophilic hot springs bacterium, however, does not denature at these high temperatures.

5) I'd say this is true, though might depend on one's definition of rapid.

6) Yes, blotting can be used to identify RNAs. Blotting to probe for specific DNA sequences is a technique called Southern blotting as it was invented by a man named Edwin Southern. The names of blotting methods invented subsequently play on the geographical naming theme. Blotting to probe for specific RNA sequences (a common technique to see whether a cell is expressing a certain mRNA) is called Northern blotting. A blot that detects specific proteins is called a Western blot.

7) There are two main substrates used for gel electrophoresis: agarose and polyacrylamide. Polyacrylamide gels have much smaller pore sizes than agarose gels and therefore provide higher resolution (able to separate strands differing by one base pair). The small pore size, however, means that polyacrylamide gels are unable to separate very large fragments of DNA. Agarose gel electrophoresis is much better suited for separation of DNA fragments greater than 500bp.

Thanks Ygggdrasil this seems bread and butter for you :smile: Just a few questions. In question 4 regarding PCR,enzymatic extension occurs at 72 degress celcius, and the denaturation which occurs before that occurs at 90. Does normal DNA polymerase denature around both these temperature, or can it withstand 72. I just want to know which stage denaurtion occurs . In question 2, does longer DNA fragments have different charge, I thought all DNA have negative charge, does negative charge increase with increase of length due to more phosphates.

sameeralord said:
Thanks Ygggdrasil this seems bread and butter for you :smile: Just a few questions. In question 4 regarding PCR,enzymatic extension occurs at 72 degress celcius, and the denaturation which occurs before that occurs at 90. Does normal DNA polymerase denature around both these temperature, or can it withstand 72. I just want to know which stage denaurtion occurs.

Unlike Taq polymerase, which operates best at around 72oC, most DNA polymerases (such as those found in humans or E. coli) work best at 37oC (human body temperature, their natural environment). I'm not sure the exact temperature that they denature, but would guess that it is somewhere in the range of 50-70oC. If you want to kill the activity of an enzyme in molecular biology, a standard procedure is to heat the enzyme at ~65oC for 10-30 min. This will denature most, but not all, enzymes.

In question 2, does longer DNA fragments have different charge, I thought all DNA have negative charge, does negative charge increase with increase of length due to more phosphates.

Yes, longer DNA molecules have more negative charge because they have more phosphates.

Hi there,

I would be happy to help answer your questions on DNA recombinant DNA technology. Here are my responses to your true/false questions:

1. Restriction fragment length polymorphism can be used to carry out prenatal diagnosis?

True. RFLP analysis can be used to detect genetic disorders in fetuses by analyzing DNA from fetal tissues, such as cells from the amniotic fluid or chorionic villus.

2. Gel electrophoresis can be used to measure the length of the DNA accurately?

True. Gel electrophoresis can be used to accurately measure the size of DNA fragments by comparing them to known size markers. While other factors like charge and resistance can affect the migration of DNA fragments, the use of size markers allows for accurate size determination.

3. Genetic engineering does not theoretically provide a cure for enzyme deficiency?

False. Genetic engineering can theoretically provide a cure for enzyme deficiency by introducing a functional copy of the gene responsible for producing the deficient enzyme. This can be achieved through gene therapy or by producing recombinant proteins using genetically engineered organisms.

4. DNA polymerase is denatured when enzymatic extension takes place at 72 degrees Celsius?

False. DNA polymerase, specifically Taq DNA polymerase, is used in PCR reactions and can withstand high temperatures, including 72 degrees Celsius, without denaturing. However, other enzymes may denature at this temperature.

5. Isolated DNA can be rapidly sequenced by either chemical method or enzymatic method?

True. Both chemical and enzymatic methods can be used to rapidly sequence isolated DNA. The choice of method depends on the specific application and the type of DNA being sequenced.

6. Blotting and hybridization techniques are important in the identification of specific DNA and RNA fragments?

True. Blotting and hybridization techniques, such as Southern blotting and Northern blotting, are commonly used to identify specific DNA and RNA fragments. Probing is a form of hybridization and can be used in these techniques to detect specific sequences of DNA or RNA.

7. Polyacrylamide gels are used to separate DNA fragments with more than 500 nucleotides?

True. Polyacrylamide gels are commonly used to separate smaller DNA fragments, typically ranging from 2 to 500 nucleotides. However, they can also be used to separate DNA fragments that differ by a single base pair in length.

I

1. What is DNA recombinant DNA technology?

DNA recombinant DNA technology is the process of combining DNA from different sources to create a new DNA sequence. This technology allows scientists to manipulate and modify DNA in order to produce desired traits or characteristics.

2. What are the potential applications of DNA recombinant DNA technology?

The potential applications of DNA recombinant DNA technology are vast and include the production of genetically modified organisms, pharmaceuticals, and medical treatments. It is also used in research to study specific genes and their functions.

3. How is DNA recombinant DNA technology carried out?

DNA recombinant DNA technology involves cutting and joining DNA sequences from different sources using specialized enzymes. This process can be carried out in a laboratory setting using techniques such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and gel electrophoresis.

4. What are the benefits and risks of DNA recombinant DNA technology?

The benefits of DNA recombinant DNA technology include the production of new and improved organisms, medicines, and scientific advancements. However, there are also potential risks such as unintended consequences or ethical concerns surrounding genetically modified organisms.

5. How does DNA recombinant DNA technology contribute to scientific research?

DNA recombinant DNA technology is a valuable tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to study specific genes and their functions, as well as create new and improved organisms for various purposes. It also enables the production of specific proteins or substances for use in experiments.