1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on momentum and collisions

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Hey these could be simple questions with easy formulas and just plugging in but i don't have them my teacher is the worst teacher i have ever had in high school and what help i can get is appreciated

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 68.0 kg ice skater moving to the right with a velocity of 2.99 m/s throws a 0.15 kg snowball to the right with a velocity of 22.7 m/s relative to the ground.

A second skater initially at rest with a mass of 60.50 kg catches the snowball. What is the velocity of the second skater after catching the snowball in a perfectly inelastic collision?

An 92.8 kg astronaut is working on the engines of a spaceship that is drifting through space with a constant velocity. The astronaut turns away to look at Earth and several seconds later is 28.7 m behind the ship, at rest relative to the spaceship. The only way to return to the ship without a thruster is to throw a wrench directly away from the ship. If the wrench has a mass of 0.560 kg, and the astronaut throws the wrench with a speed of 18.0 m/s, how long does it take the astronaut to reach the ship?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start but i can figure out the momentum of the skaters
    1) Momentum of skater is= p=mv
    Momentum of Snowball p=mv
    for the Astronaut question i use Pi=Pf but i don't know how to break down the equation but i do something with the momentum of the wrench with distance and i don't know an equation for that
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    thanks hage good website Bookmarked it =D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?