Questions on Undergraduate GPA for Math Graduate School

In summary: Probably not, but it's worth a shot.In summary, the college courses that you took and the grades you received will not count towards your undergraduate GPA. However, if you retake a course and earn a better grade, your GPA will improve. If you have any questions about your GPA or accreditation, you can contact the school you originally attended or look online for more information.
strlen
Alright, a little background on me first; i attended a nationally accredited college and due to various circumstances, fell into major depression. I wasted about ~3 years of my life doing very little and ended up dropping/failing many of my classes for extremely stupid reasons (not showing up for the final). My GPA before i decided to switch out to a community college was ~2.30. It's been about a year and a half since i transferred and I've been doing well in all my classes so far. I've been thinking about the future and I'm strongly considering one in graduate school for math.

Okay, with that out of the way here are my questions:

1. The college i originally enrolled in was nationally accredited and as such, none of the credits that i earned there transferred over to my community college; I essentially started over from scratch. Will those classes still count towards my undergraduate GPA?

2. I ended up repeating failed courses in my old college, sometimes passing them, sometimes failing them again. When calculating GPA, are these classes treated as a single entity or multiple ones? In other words, let's say i get an F, F, B in the same class. Will it be counted as just that, an F, F, B or will the B replace those two F's? (I'm guessing not :)

3. How big of a deal are W's? I've accumulated 12, all from my previous college.

4. I've been using this calculator to calculate my GPA, adjusted for my schools. Can anyone tell me if it looks accurate or point me towards a better one?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590424"

5. I'm confident that i can get above a 3.0 (aiming for 3.2+) if my previous coursework is taken into account. Assuming worst case scenario and this doesn't happen, what else can i do? Would doing well in an M.S. Math program help? Any other general suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any help :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that you have shown improvement should really help graduate schools see potential in you as a student. Also retaking a course, if I not mistaken, by most schools negates the previous grade on your final GPA. Example, if you take a class and make a C, then retake that class, the higher grade is reflected on your overall GPA. The old grade will still be seen on your transcript but it will not count towards your overall GPA. So if you took classes and did poorly at that first school, when you retook them and do better, your GPA will improve.

Yeah, I've heard of that before but haven't been able to find a solid yes or no on whether it's true. And honestly, it's the first and second question that I'm really curious about. If the coursework from my previous college is excluded, the difference in my GPA is like night and day. But i have no idea if the accreditation and/or the fact that nothing transferred over will allow this to happen or not.

I'm also starting to get the feeling that different graduate schools will calculate your GPA differently, really surprised that the whole process is not more transparent. Would e-mailing some arbitrary university's graduate admissions help?

1. What is a good undergraduate GPA for math graduate school?

The average undergraduate GPA for admitted students in math graduate programs is typically around 3.5. However, the specific GPA requirements may vary depending on the school and program. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

2. How heavily is undergraduate GPA weighed in the admissions process for math graduate school?

Undergraduate GPA is an important factor in the admissions process for math graduate school, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, GRE scores, research experience, and personal statements.

3. Will a low undergraduate GPA automatically disqualify me from being accepted into a math graduate program?

No, a low undergraduate GPA does not automatically disqualify you from being accepted into a math graduate program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors in addition to GPA, and a strong application in other areas may compensate for a lower GPA. It is important to highlight your strengths in other areas of your application.

4. How can I improve my undergraduate GPA if I am interested in applying to math graduate school?

If you are still in your undergraduate program, you can focus on improving your grades in your math courses and taking on challenging coursework. You can also consider retaking courses to improve your grades. If you have already completed your undergraduate degree, you can consider taking additional coursework or completing a post-baccalaureate program to show your academic potential in math.

5. Is it better to have a lower GPA in difficult math courses or a higher GPA in easier math courses for math graduate school?

It is generally better to have a higher GPA in more difficult math courses, as this demonstrates your ability to handle challenging coursework and your interest in the subject. However, it is important to maintain a strong overall GPA and to perform well in all math courses. Admissions committees will consider your overall academic performance in addition to your performance in math courses.