Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions on Weinberg Cosmology Book

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    I am following up Weinberg Cosmology book, but I have one question.

In chapter 3.1, we have Eq (3.1.3) and (3.1.4)

[itex] s(T) = \frac{\rho(T) + p(T)}{T} [/itex]
    [itex] T\frac{dp(T)}{dT} = \rho(T) + p(T) [/itex]

In Eq (3.1.5), we have the Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distributions.

[itex] n(p, T) = \frac{4 \pi g p^2}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3} \frac{1}{exp(\sqrt{p^2 + m^2} / k_B T) \pm 1} [/itex].

From using this number distribution, the author said we have the energy density and pressure of a particle mass m are given by Eq (3.1.6) and (3.1.7).

[itex] \rho(T) = \int n(p, T) dp \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} [/itex]
    [itex] p(T) = \int n(p, T) dp \frac{p^2}{3\sqrt{p^2 + m^2}} [/itex]

Here, energy density is straightforward by the definition of number density.
    But, for pressure, the author said it can be derived from Eq(3.1.4), the second equation on this post.

However, I cannot derive this pressure equation using Eq(3.1.4). Can somebody help me do this?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

My Weinberg seems a lot different from your Weinberg! But tracing through it, here's where the p(T) equation comes from. For a particle (using c = 1), the energy is E = γm and the momentum is p = γmv. Thus p/E = v (Eq.1)

For a system of particles, the energy-momentum tensor is Tμν = ∑n pnμ dxnν/dt δ3(x-xn), or using Eq.1, Tμν = ∑n pnμ pnν/En δ3(x-xn

For a perfect fluid, the spatial components of Tμν are related to the pressure p by Tij = p δij.

Thus p = (1/3) Ʃj Tjj = (1/3) Ʃn pn2/En δ3(x-xn).

This gets you the p2 in the numerator, the E in the denominator, and the 1/3 out front.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook