Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding a paradox.

1. Universal Consistency

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Many Worlds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Annihilation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    I sit in math class everyday and wonder what would happen if I were to send my pencil, which has been sitting still on my desk for sometime now, back in time so that my future pencil occupies the same space as my past pencil. Obviously this is a paradox because if the pencils annihilate each other then the past pencil won't exist to destroy itself after traveling back in time. Each time I ask myself this question I come to the same conclusion, it's many worlds rule or universal consistency. What thoughts do you have?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, YouLepton!

Your question/poll really doesn't belong in this forum. This isn't a suitable topic for discussion because you are assuming science which has never been demonstrated. Basically, it is philosophical speculation: time travel paradoxes assume a form of time travel which does not exist within standard physics. And discussion of speculative ideas are not allowed here.

You might want to read the forum guidelines and read more threads so you can get a better idea of how to best use PhysicsForums. We hope you can use the site to expand your understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook