Questions regarding Taylor series

In summary, a Taylor series will converge to the function that produced the series if you stay within the interval of convergence, while a Maclaurin series will not converge if you go beyond the interval.
11thHeaven
We just had a lecture on power series today (Taylor and McLaurin's) and I had a couple of questions:

What does it mean for an expansion to be "around the origin"? I thought that the expansion provided an approximation to the original function at all points for which the function was defined.

Similarly, what does it mean for an expansion to be "around a point"? Is this point on the x-axis? Seeing as some functions are defined around the whole number line, how can they be expanded around, say, 5 or 6?

I apologise if this is in the wrong section; I didn't post it in Homework because it's concepts rather than specific problems that I need help with.

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maclaurin series: ∑anxn
Taylor series: ∑an(x-c)n

c is the point ("around the point"). Note that Maclaurin series, c = 0, i.e. series around the origin.

two sums ∑ anxn and ∑ bn(x-C)n can be equal, but of course the ans and bns will be different

{an} are the coefficients for an expansion about 0, {bn} are the coefficients for an expansion about C :wink:

Yes, but what does it mean for an expansion to be "about a point"? Surely the expansion is for the entire range of the original function?

11thHeaven said:
Yes, but what does it mean for an expansion to be "about a point"? Surely the expansion is for the entire range of the original function?
"About a point" has to do with what the terms in the series look like.

A Taylor series is a series of powers of x - a.
A Maclaurin series is a series in powers or x - 0 (in other words, powers of x). From this, it should be obvious that a Maclaurin series is a special kind of Taylor series.

A particular Taylor series won't converge to the function that produced the series if you get beyond the interval of convergence. As you get a little farther in your studies of series, you'll be working with how to determine convergence intervals.

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated by taking the derivative of a function at a given point and then plugging in the values for the function and its derivatives into the formula for the series. This process is repeated for each subsequent term in the series.

3. What is the purpose of a Taylor series?

The purpose of a Taylor series is to approximate a function with a polynomial, making it easier to work with and calculate. It can also be used to find the value of a function at a point where it may be difficult to evaluate directly.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a more general form of a Maclaurin series, where the point of evaluation can be any value. A Maclaurin series is a specific type of Taylor series where the point of evaluation is 0.

5. How accurate is a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the function. However, there may be cases where the series does not converge to the actual value, making the approximation less accurate.