Questions regarding "Thermal History of the Early Universe"

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Messages
2,517
Reaction score
465
I do not have any education in particle physics, and I am trying to read the paper
http://www.helsinki.fi/~hkurkisu/cosmology/Cosmo6.pdf .
I would much appreciate some help regarding the specific questions below.

The following is from the first page of the article.
ThermalHistoryTable1.png

I gather that g is a count of the different varieties of particles of different types. There are some oddities in the table I can't figure out, and I hope someone will be able to explain them to me.
1. Under Quarks, g = 2⋅2⋅3. I get that one "2" is for the particle and its antiparticle, and the "3"is for 3 colors. What is the other "2"? Is it +1/2 and -1/2 spin values?
2. For each of τ, μ, and e, g = 2⋅2=4, making 12 altogether. One "2" corresponds to the particle and antiparticle. What is the other "2" Is it +1/2 and -1/2 spin values?
3. For Electroweak gauge bosons, g=3. Is this because there are 3 spin values: +1, 0, and -1?
4. Under Electroweak gauge bosons, there is a single line for γ, the photon. Why is g = 2 for the photon?
5. Also, what is the photon mass value in parentheses, "< 6×10-17 eV"?
​
Regards,
Buzz
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
1. Under Quarks, g = 2⋅2⋅3. I get that one "2" is for the particle and its antiparticle, and the "3"is for 3 colors. What is the other "2"? Is it + and - spin values?
2. For each of τ, μ, and e, g = 2⋅2=4, making 12 altogether. One "2" corresponds to the particle and antiparticle. What is the other "2" Is it + and - spin values?
The thing you are missing in both your first questions is polarisation. Both particle and anti-particle come with two spin possibilities.

Buzz Bloom said:
3. Under Electroweak gauge bosons, there is a single line for γ, the photon. Why is g = 2 for the photon?
Same as for the quarks and leptons. It is the two polarisation directions.

Buzz Bloom said:
4. Also, what is the photon mass value in parentheses, "< 6×10-17 eV"?
Most likely because it is zero according to theory and that is the upper bound.
 
Hi Orodruin:

Thanks a lot for your prompt and useful answers.

I have been updating the post, and I think I added a question after your answer post. Please look at the revised questions #3.

Regards,
Buzz
 
It is from 2006, so the experimental upper limit on the photon mass is a bit outdated. See the current status. Most of those values are a bit model-dependent, but they are all extremely tiny.