Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions, Why, Practical Applications Higgs Boson

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    Firstly, an open statement to everyone in this forum.

I am in search of some answers to questions I have so that I may have a better understanding of this research.

For this reason I have posted this so that through all of you my lack of education or some may refer to ignorance I may be enlightened.

I will never intend to come across condescending and if I do please feel free to speak your mind.

It is important to me and maybe others that I understand your responses and gain knowledge to my questions.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson so important?
    2. What are the practical applications if this is discovered?

Hopefully, these are not rhetorical questions. I have not been able to find anyone who has offered a good answer as of yet for either of these questions.

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    It represents an experimental test of the theorized Higgs-mechanism in the standard model of particle physics.

For now, none.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Not finding it would also be very important as it would require a reworking of currently accepted theories. Although CERN does seem to be there or thereabouts with finding it. :)

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4
    They found it!! The density of the particle has been consistent on both ends of C.E.R.N. . Mass ~ 125(GeV). Practical applications are currently none but c'mon?!? It is vital to define the makeup of our universe and the confirmation of it will establish validity of current equations.

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, they didn't. At least not yet. They have seen signs, but the statistical significance is not strong enough yet to allow them to unambiguously make that Eureka! claim. See http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR25.11E.html [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook