Questions, Why, Practical Applications Higgs Boson

In summary, the discovery of the Higgs Boson is significant because it confirms the theorized Higgs-mechanism in the standard model of particle physics. At this time, there are no practical applications for this discovery. However, not finding it would also be important as it would require a reworking of currently accepted theories. The current density and mass of the Higgs Boson found by CERN is consistent with predictions. The confirmation of this particle is vital in understanding the makeup of our universe and validating current equations. While there have been signs of its existence, it has not been definitively discovered yet.
ratfinksax
Firstly, an open statement to everyone in this forum.

I am in search of some answers to questions I have so that I may have a better understanding of this research.

For this reason I have posted this so that through all of you my lack of education or some may refer to ignorance I may be enlightened.

I will never intend to come across condescending and if I do please feel free to speak your mind.

It is important to me and maybe others that I understand your responses and gain knowledge to my questions.

QUESTIONS:
1. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson so important?
2. What are the practical applications if this is discovered?

Hopefully, these are not rhetorical questions. I have not been able to find anyone who has offered a good answer as of yet for either of these questions.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
ratfinksax said:
1. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson so important?

It represents an experimental test of the theorized Higgs-mechanism in the standard model of particle physics.

2. What are the practical applications if this is discovered?

For now, none.

Not finding it would also be very important as it would require a reworking of currently accepted theories. Although CERN does seem to be there or thereabouts with finding it. :)

They found it! The density of the particle has been consistent on both ends of C.E.R.N. . Mass ~ 125(GeV). Practical applications are currently none but c'mon?!? It is vital to define the makeup of our universe and the confirmation of it will establish validity of current equations.

Bellsy69 said:
They found it!
No, they didn't. At least not yet. They have seen signs, but the statistical significance is not strong enough yet to allow them to unambiguously make that Eureka! claim. See http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR25.11E.html .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that was theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs. It is responsible for giving other particles their mass and is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson important?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson was important because it confirmed the existence of a particle that was predicted by the Standard Model but had not been observed before. It also helps us understand how particles acquire mass and provides further evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists used the LHC to accelerate and collide protons at high energies, which produced a large amount of data. By analyzing this data, scientists were able to detect the presence of the Higgs Boson through its decay products.

4. What are the practical applications of the Higgs Boson?

While the discovery of the Higgs Boson has not led to any immediate practical applications, it has greatly contributed to our understanding of particle physics. This understanding can potentially lead to advancements in technologies such as medical imaging and energy production.

5. What are some current research efforts related to the Higgs Boson?

Scientists are currently conducting further experiments at the LHC to study the properties of the Higgs Boson and its interactions with other particles. They are also exploring the possibility of new physics beyond the Standard Model, which could potentially be explained by the Higgs Boson. Additionally, researchers are working on developing new technologies and techniques for studying the Higgs Boson in even greater detail.