Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar fields and the Higgs boson

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    This is more of a QFT question, so the moderator may want to move it to another forum.

The simplest example of a QFT that I learned was the scalar field; in Sakurai's 1967 text book.
    I know the Higgs is a J=0 particle. Is it described by the simple scalar field discussed in Sakurai's text? I ask because I hear about the complexity of the Higgs and that there may be up to 5 Higgs bosons.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes, if we write the fields of the Standard Model that correspond to particles of definite mass. Then there is a real scalar field that corresponds to the physical Higgs boson.

However, if instead we use fields that have definite transformation properties under the gauge symmetries, then the Higgs field is a complex doublet of the SU(2) gauge symmetry (and also transforms under the U(1) hypercharge symmetry); that is, two complex scalar fields, equivalent to four real scalar fields. After spontaneous symmetry breaking, three of these fields end up as the longitudinal components of the massive ##W^\pm## and ##Z^0## gauge fields, and the fourth is the field corresponding to the Higgs particle.

In some extensions of the Standard Model, there are two Higgs doublets, equivalent to 8 real scalar fields. 3 of these end up as the longitudinal ##W^\pm## and ##Z^0##, and the remaining 5 are scalar bosons. Three have electric charge zero, and the other two have electric charge ##\pm1## (in units of the electron charge).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    Thank you Avodyne. You answered my question and anticipated my next question. It's going to take me a while to digest this information. It is very helpful. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook