1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick 2D Motion Question (wind resistance)

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An airplane is flying 100m/s (N20E) according to the pilot, but is in a wind that is blowing 40 m/s (S10E). What is the plane's real velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean Therom
    Cosin and Sin Laws
    Component Method

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, I think I can easily get the answer if I know what this question is asking me. By real velocity, Does it mean the displacement from point 100 m/s (N20E) to 40 m/s (S20E)? Like, I can draw it on a graph and make the triangle. I would then calculate the angle and length of the unknown side. If that's not it, Then how would I go about getting it? Please Help me understand this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Vroc! :smile:
    It means the velocity Vpa of the plane relative to the air is 100 m/s (N20E)

you're given Vag, the velocity of the air relative to the ground,

and you need to find Vpg, the velocity of the plane relative to the ground. :wink:

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    What? I just need to know what formula to use or how I can use my graph to find the answer.
    I'm given the planes Velocity (100m/s n20e) and than the wind (40 m/s s10e)

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, that's not the plane's velocity (relative to the ground), it's the plane's velocity relative to the air

now use vector addition

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    Okay, If I can use vector addiction, than I can do it the way I mentioned earlier by making a triangle and finding the unknown side and angle because they both are ways of finding the same thing. correct?

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

correct :smile:

(and make sure your vector triangle has the arrows the right way round,

so that Vpg = Vpa + Vag :wink:)

8. Oct 4, 2012 #7
    Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook