Quick complex numbers question in QM (probability amplitues)

In summary, the function Re takes a complex number z to its real part and Im takes a complex number z to its imaginary part. The real and imaginary parts are then combined to get 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2 - ia*b + ib*a).
phil ess
[RESOLVED] Quick complex numbers question in QM (probability amplitues)

Im a little confused here. I am reading in my textbook about probability amplitudes in Stern Gerlach measurements, and it says this:

We find the resulting probabilities for deflection of [tex]\left(\stackrel{\alpha}{\beta}\right)[/tex] in the x and y directions as:

[tex]Prob(\pm in x) = \left|\frac{\alpha\pm\beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{2}(|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 \pm \alpha*\beta \pm \beta*\alpha) = \frac{1}{2} \pm Re(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

[tex]Prob(\pm in y) = \left|\frac{\alpha\mp i\beta}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{2}(|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 \mp i\alpha*\beta \mp i\beta*\alpha) = \frac{1}{2} \pm Im(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

Now I understand where the amplitudes come from and everything, the thing I don't understand is the functions Re and Im, and how they simplified the amplitudes to

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \pm Re(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \pm Im(\alpha*\beta)[/tex]

So can someone please explain these functions Re and I am and how they work here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any complex number z can be written in the form z=x+iy, where x and y are real numbers called the real part and the imaginary part of z respectively. x and y are uniquely determined by this decomposition, i.e. if x'+iy'=x+iy, then x=x' and y=y'. So there exists a function that takes a complex number to its real part, and a function that takes a complex number to its imaginary part. These functions are called Re and I am respectively.

Note that

z=Re z + i I am z
z*=Re z-i I am z

and that this implies

Re z=(z+z*)/2
Im z=(z-z*)/(2i)

Now what do you get when you compute the real and imaginary parts of [itex]\alpha^*\beta[/itex]?

OH! so:

1/2 + Re(a*b) = 1/2 + (a*b + b*a)/2 = 1/2 (1 + a*b + b*a)

but 1 = |a|2 + |b|2

so we get:

1/2 + Re(a*b) = 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2 + a*b + b*a)

woohoo, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Ok I am not seeing the I am part though:

1/2 + Im(a*b) = 1/2 + (a*b - b*a)/2i = (i + a*b - b*a)/2i ??

I can't seem to get the result in the book of 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2 - ia*b + ib*a)

EDIT: Oh you just multiply top and bottom by i and it works out! got it, thanks agian!

Last edited:

1. What are probability amplitudes in quantum mechanics?

Probability amplitudes are complex numbers that represent the likelihood of a quantum system being measured in a particular state. They are used in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics to calculate probabilities of different outcomes in experiments.

2. How are probability amplitudes related to quantum superposition?

In quantum mechanics, a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition. Probability amplitudes describe the amplitude of each state in the superposition and can be used to calculate the probability of measuring a particular outcome.

3. Can probability amplitudes be negative?

Yes, probability amplitudes can be negative. In quantum mechanics, the square of the amplitude is what represents the probability, so a negative amplitude would result in a positive probability. This allows for interference effects to occur in quantum systems.

4. What is the relationship between probability amplitudes and wavefunctions?

Probability amplitudes and wavefunctions are related through the Born rule in quantum mechanics. The square of the absolute value of the probability amplitude is equal to the probability density of finding a particle in a particular state, which is represented by the wavefunction.

5. How are probability amplitudes used in calculations in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probability amplitudes are used in calculations to determine the probability of a particular outcome in an experiment. They are also used to calculate expectation values, which represent the average value of a measurement over many repetitions of an experiment.