1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick electromagnet coil question

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone

I have coiled an electromagnet over the weekend using iron and magnet wire, but when I connect it to my power source, the electromagnet becomes very hot. Is there some coating I can use to reduce the heat produced by the electromagnet when in use? Like epoxy or some sort of lacquer???

Thanks.
    Stephen

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi Stephen
    welcome to PF

thats not going to stop the heat
    tell us more about your electro magnet
    how many turns of wire and what wire gauge ?
    what size/shape iron core?
    what voltage are you running it from?
    Have you measured the current being drawn by the coil?
    Have you measured the resistance of the coil?

getting hot infers that you probably have too few turns and that there is a sizeable current being drawn, you probably need many more turns of wire

cheers
    Dave

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    An electromagnet coil is a ring that arrounded by magnet wire . it is often wound around an iron core. However, it may be wound around an air core, in which case it is called a solenoid. When connected to a DC voltage or current source, the electromagnet becomes energized, creating a magnetic field just like a permanent magnet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook