Magnetic circuits with air coil question

In summary: You would then need to find the current required to produce that flux. Assuming you are talking about a 500 turn coil, and the air gap is 1mm, then the current required to produce a flux of 2.24 x 10^-4 wb would be: I=0.00005A
Weightofananvil

Homework Statement

a magnetic circuit with a coil of 500 turns and a core of sheet steel has an air gap of 1mm. the sheet steel has a mean path length Lss = 0.25 m and a cross section that measures 1cm x 1.6 cm. (assume: u air = u0(not) = 4pi x 10^-7 wb/(Am).

determine how much coil current is required to establish a flux of phi = 2.24 x 10^-4 wb. neglect fringing

Homework Equations

b = phi/A
F=NI
F=Phi x R

I also have a B-H curve for sheet steel.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried solving using B=(Unot)NI / L. And solving rearranging phi =b/a.
My textbook doesn't do a good job of explaining this material. There isn't any questions similar to this one in it or in my teachers examples. We covered the material in 1 class because "we are behind" and I write a final incorporating this material in 1.5 weeks.

Anybody know any good resources for this material because you tube offered nothing.
I'm very frustrated and being on a timeline isn't making this much easier.
Thanks in advance.

*most of the formulas I have are in relation to the mmf. I have 0 formulas in my text that relate current and the magnetic field being produced from the coil

Physics news on Phys.org
Weightofananvil said:

Homework Statement

a magnetic circuit with a coil of 500 turns and a core of sheet steel has an air gap of 1mm. the sheet steel has a mean path length Lss = 0.25 m and a cross section that measures 1cm x 1.6 cm. (assume: u air = u0(not) = 4pi x 10^-7 wb/(Am).

determine how much coil current is required to establish a flux of phi = 2.24 x 10^-4 wb. neglect fringing

Homework Equations

b = phi/A
F=NI
F=Phi x R

I also have a B-H curve for sheet steel.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried solving using B=(Unot)NI / L. And solving rearranging phi =b/a.
My textbook doesn't do a good job of explaining this material. There isn't any questions similar to this one in it or in my teachers examples. We covered the material in 1 class because "we are behind" and I write a final incorporating this material in 1.5 weeks.

Anybody know any good resources for this material because you tube offered nothing.
I'm very frustrated and being on a timeline isn't making this much easier.
Thanks in advance.

*most of the formulas I have are in relation to the mmf. I have 0 formulas in my text that relate current and the magnetic field being produced from the coil
You need to mention the relative permeability of steel ( I think its 1000).
You can use mmf= NI=Φ*s
You can calculate s(reluctance) as s=l/μa
Also you need to keep in mind that this is a series magnetic circuit.

In a practical world the reluctance of the sheet steel would be assumned infinite so your total reluctance would just be the reluctance of the air gap. But alas, textbook questions do not necessarily reflect real life so you have to come up with a series value for the reluctance of the steel. Pick some value between the two hysteresis curves for the slope μ.

1. What is a magnetic circuit with an air coil?

A magnetic circuit with an air coil is a type of electrical circuit that utilizes a coil of wire and a core made of air to create a magnetic field. The coil is wound around the core and when an electrical current is passed through the coil, a magnetic field is generated.

2. How does a magnetic circuit with an air coil work?

A magnetic circuit with an air coil works by using the properties of electromagnetism. When an electrical current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This field can then be used to induce a current in nearby conductive materials or to attract or repel objects with magnetic properties.

3. What are the components of a magnetic circuit with an air coil?

The main components of a magnetic circuit with an air coil include the coil, the air core, and any additional materials used to shape the magnetic field, such as a ferromagnetic material. The coil is typically made of copper wire and the air core can be made of any non-magnetic material, such as plastic or wood.

4. What are the applications of a magnetic circuit with an air coil?

Magnetic circuits with air coils are used in a variety of applications, including generators, motors, speakers, and magnetic sensors. They are also commonly used in electronics, such as inductors and transformers, to control and manipulate electrical currents.

5. How can the performance of a magnetic circuit with an air coil be improved?

The performance of a magnetic circuit with an air coil can be improved by using a ferromagnetic material as the core, which can increase the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the coil and using a larger core can also improve the circuit's performance. Proper insulation and careful design can also help to reduce energy losses and improve efficiency.