1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick friction concept question

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box is pulled across a rough horizontal surface with force F. Each time the box moves a distance D, howeveer the angle of F varies. Which angle causes the most/least amount of friction. An angle above/below/horizontal to the surface.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the least friction is caused by a force above horizontal and the most is caused by a force below horizontal but I have no clue how to explain it using physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2
    Try imagining the forces resolved into horizontal and vertical components. Does that help?
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    2. Relevant equations,

Force of Friction = mu*Normal Force

So if u are pulling bellow the horiziontal, u are pusing the box into the ground, thus increasing the normal force => increasing friction.

If you pull above horizontal, then u are pulling up the box => less Normal force => less friction

make sense?

question ? ask me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?