Tone hearing frequency concept question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to add up sine waves to make a square wave. The key is to see which sine waves make up the square wave and how to adjust their amplitudes. The answer is E, which includes only odd harmonics. However, it is also mentioned that the modification may not be symmetric, in which case even harmonics could be present.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

Hearing Question.PNG

Homework Equations

Dont know any sorry

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried imagining the ear as some sort of harmonic pipe with the sound coming inside as a sine wave. The question says the sine wave is not fully sinosoidal and is flattened at the top and bottom.
I don't know where to go from there sorry - any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
As you are flattening the wave, you are getting closer to a square wave. You can use knowledge of how a square wave is represented as a sum of sine waves to help you.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSeries.html
Hello i don't fully understand what Fourier is, I know its that one with the flat topped/diagonal waves which you can get by adding up sine waves. I don't see how this applies to the question - can you give me another hint?

Adam Rabe said:
Hello i don't fully understand what Fourier is, I know its that one with the flat topped/diagonal waves which you can get by adding up sine waves. I don't see how this applies to the question - can you give me another hint?
The key in this question is to see which sine waves make up the square wave. As you add more and more of the correct frequency sine waves (with adjusted amplitudes), you can turn a 300Hz sine wave into a 300Hz square wave.

You will learn more about this process in your classes, but for now, can you try a Google search on something like -- How to add up sine waves to make a square wave. Look at the frequencies of the lowest frequency used, and the relationship to the other sine waves of smaller amplitude that are added in.

Can you then say which one of the answers above is correct? :smile:

berkeman said:
The key in this question is to see which sine waves make up the square wave. As you add more and more of the correct frequency sine waves (with adjusted amplitudes), you can turn a 300Hz sine wave into a 300Hz square wave.

You will learn more about this process in your classes, but for now, can you try a Google search on something like -- How to add up sine waves to make a square wave. Look at the frequencies of the lowest frequency used, and the relationship to the other sine waves of smaller amplitude that are added in.

Can you then say which one of the answers above is correct? :smile:
Hi the answer was E - can you maybe give an explanation as to why, I am really stuck

Adam Rabe said:
Hi the answer was E - can you maybe give an explanation as to why, I am really stuck
Did you do the Google search I suggested? It would show you why the answer is E...

Let me recopy the formula for a square wave from the link I gave:
$$
\frac{4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1,3,5,\ldots}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} \sin \left( \frac{n \pi x}{L} \right)
$$
Do you see the relationship between the frequencies of the different components?

Another to see it is that flattening the sine wave doesn't change the period over which the signal repeats. What frequencies can be included such that this period doesn't change?

"E" doesn't appear to be correct to me, depending on how strictly you read the question.

If a wave is flattened on both the top and bottom, by the same amount, you will have only odd harmonics. So 300 Hz + 900 Hz + 1500 Hz, etc.

To get an even harmonic, I think that requires non-symmetry above/below the X axis. You would need a significant difference in the flattening top/bottom to make a 2nd harmonic audible. I might play with this in Audacity (open-source sound editing program), for real life results. (a few minutes later... Yep, it showed what I thought it would)

Last edited:
NTL2009 said:
"E" doesn't appear to be correct to me, depending on how strictly you read the question.

If a wave is flattened on both the top and bottom, by the same amount, you will have only odd harmonics. So 300 Hz + 900 Hz + 1500 Hz, etc.
Nowhere did the problem state that the modification was symmetric. It simply said that the wave isn't sinusoidal anymore (even the flattening is a "perhaps.")

NTL2009 said:

To get an even harmonic, I think that requires non-symmetry above/below the X axis. You would need a significant difference in the flattening top/bottom to make a 2nd harmonic audible. I might play with this in Audacity (open-source sound editing program), for real life results. (a few minutes later... Yep, it showed what I thought it would)
That's a fair point, but the other answers are clearly wrong, so only E is left as the "best" of the possible answers. :smile:

berkeman said:
That's a fair point, but the other answers are clearly wrong, so only E is left as the "best" of the possible answers. :smile:
Absolutely agree with that, the other answers are way off. I guess I'm just saying the problem and answer could have been worded better.

Likes berkeman
Perhaps the questioner was simply thinking that distortion produces harmonics and just offered some harmonics without worrying what sort of distortion was involved?

Merlin3189 said:
Perhaps the questioner was simply thinking that distortion produces harmonics and just offered some harmonics without worrying what sort of distortion was involved?
Yes, and maybe I'm making too big a deal about this (but it's not like I'm pounding my desk either! :smile: ). Let's just say they missed an opportunity, and they shouldn't be confusing students with what creates odd and what creates even harmonics. They sort of mish-mash the concepts here. But that got me thinking:

From memory (and playing with music synthesizers), I recall that a square wave has odd harmonics with amplitude of f/h (where h = freq of harmonic, f = freq of fundamental), so third harmonic is 1/3rd amplitude, fifth harmonic is 1/5th etc.

A triangle wave also has only odd harmonics, but the drop off is (f/h)^2. Third harmonic is 1/9th, fifth is 1/25th etc. That also makes sense when you consider a low-pass filtered square wave starts looking like a triangle wave.

And a sawtooth wave has both even and odd harmonics, at f/h.

But what I didn't recall is, what about only even harmonics? My analog music synths didn't have a waveform like that available. A little more playing in a graphing calculator and I get this, not sure how to describe it though? Do these regularly occur in nature, or maybe those combination of forces are not common?

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/sanwjjkkqu

looks like a sawtooth to me.
If you alternate adding and subtracting harmonics and reduce them in amplitude by the square of their order, it gets much smoother -say sin(x)-sin(2x)/4+sin(4x)/16- sin(6x)/36 - etc..

A sawtooth has even and odd harmonics.

You're right, of course.
I've actually been fooling myself trying to even out the bumps on nearly triangular waves. All the even harmonics of f are actually all the odd and even harmonics of 2f. So I was getting a perfect sawtooth by using all the even harmonics, then just removing the fundamental!

Anyhow, thanks for the link to the desmos calculator: it's great for graphing these functions.

1. What is tone hearing frequency?

Tone hearing frequency refers to the pitch or range of sounds that a person can hear. It is measured in Hertz (Hz), which is the number of vibrations per second. The frequency range that humans can typically hear is between 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

2. How does tone hearing frequency affect our perception of sound?

The tone hearing frequency directly affects our perception of sound. Different frequencies correspond to different pitches and can change the way we interpret and understand sound. Higher frequencies are associated with higher pitches and lower frequencies with lower pitches.

3. Can humans hear all frequencies?

No, humans cannot hear all frequencies. As we age, our hearing range decreases, and we lose the ability to hear higher frequencies. Additionally, some people may have hearing impairments that limit their ability to hear certain frequencies.

4. How can tone hearing frequency be measured?

Tone hearing frequency can be measured using a device called an audiometer. This device produces sounds at different frequencies and volumes, and the person being tested will indicate when they can hear the sound. The results are then plotted on an audiogram.

5. Can tone hearing frequency be improved?

There is no proven way to improve tone hearing frequency. However, protecting our ears from loud noises and maintaining good ear health can help prevent hearing loss and maintain our ability to hear a wide range of frequencies.