Quick Linear Algebra-True or false type

In summary, the question is whether nullity AB is equal to nullity A multiplied by nullity B, given that A is a m*n matrix and B is a n*n matrix. The person posing the question believes that this is true, but is unsure and does not need a proof. They just need to know if this is a fact in order to work on a more complex problem. They also suggest trying a specific example (m=n=3) to see if null(A) and null(B) can both equal 2.
workerant
Quick Linear Algebra---True or false type

Homework Statement

If A is a m*n matrix and B is a n*n matrix, does nullity AB= nullity A* nullity B?

I think that it does, but I am not sure. I don't need a proof of this or anything, this is just a fact I need to know in order to try and prove something more complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure null(A)*null(B) is always small enough to be equal to null(AB)? Try, e.g. m=n=3 and see if you can get null(A)=null(B)=2

If you're stuck, check the spoiler

For an even more trivial case, m=n=2, A=B=0 the zero matrix.

1. Is linear algebra a branch of mathematics?

Yes, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations.

2. Is it possible to solve a system of linear equations using matrix operations?

Yes, matrix operations such as Gaussian Elimination and Cramer's Rule can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

3. Can a matrix have a determinant of zero?

Yes, a matrix can have a determinant of zero if it is singular, which means that it does not have an inverse.

4. Is the identity matrix always a square matrix?

Yes, the identity matrix is always a square matrix with equal number of rows and columns.

5. Can two matrices be multiplied if they have different dimensions?

No, two matrices can only be multiplied if the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.