True or False? Linear Algebra Matrix

In summary: Solution set consists of all possible solutions. Only in special cases does the solution set consist of exactly one solution.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

The solution set of a linear system involving variables x1,...,xn is a lists of numbers (s1,...,sn) that makes each equation in the system a true statement when the values s1,...,sn are substituted for x1,...,xn respectively.

I say it is true because I thought the list meant each solution corresponding the variables is true and so if you plug it in for each one respectively, it should be true.

The Key says it is wrong and it gives a explanation that I don't think it's even English

Solution

False. The description given applied to a single solution. The solution set consists of all possible solutions. Only in special cases does the solution set consist of exactly one solution. Mark a statement True only if the statement is always true.

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
The solution set of a linear system involving variables x1,...,xn is a lists of numbers (s1,...,sn) that makes each equation in the system a true statement when the values s1,...,sn are substituted for x1,...,xn respectively.

I say it is true because I thought the list meant each solution corresponding the variables is true and so if you plug it in for each one respectively, it should be true.
It's false, because it says a list, not, say, all lists of numbers that satisfy the condition.

flyingpig said:
The Key says it is wrong and it gives a explanation that I don't think it's even English

Solution

False. The description given applied to a single solution. The solution set consists of all possible solutions. Only in special cases does the solution set consist of exactly one solution. Mark a statement True only if the statement is always true.
What's wrong with the explanation? Save for the typo (applies instead of applied) which I don't know if you or the textbook made, it explains perfectly why the answer is "false".

Probably because I have been working for like three hrs straight.

I don't understand, what is the difference?

all lists of numbers that satisfy the condition. = a lists of numbers (s1,...,sn) that makes each equation in the system a true statement

Is that not the same meaning?

Well, say you have the following system of linear equations:

x1 + x2 + x3 = 0
x1 + x2 = 3

Then a "list" of solutions is x1 = 0, x2 = 3, x3 = -3. So if the statement was true, then that list is the solution set to that system of equations. But that is not the only "list" that satisfies the system, as you have infinitely more, for example x1 = 1, x2 = 2, x3 = -3. So the solution set doesn't contain only that first "list", but includes other ones, as well.

Last edited:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of operations on vectors and matrices, as well as their properties and the relationships between them.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in linear algebra, and can also be used to solve systems of linear equations.

3. What is the difference between a true and false matrix in linear algebra?

A true matrix is one that satisfies certain conditions, such as being invertible, having nonzero determinants, or being diagonalizable. A false matrix is one that does not satisfy these conditions, meaning it cannot be manipulated in the same way as a true matrix.

4. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving large amounts of data, optimize processes and systems, and create computer graphics and special effects.

5. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change direction when a linear transformation is applied to them. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalars that represent how much the eigenvectors are stretched or shrunk by the transformation. They are used to study the behavior of linear systems and to solve differential equations.