1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra true/false explanation.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    Linear Algebra true/false explanation. :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

True or False:
    Is it possible to find a pair of two-dimensional subspaces S and T of R3 such that S (upside down U) = {0} ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My understanding: upside down U = intersection, and for S to intersect T, S must have some vectors that are linear combinations of the vectors of T (and vice versa). These combinations have to = 0... and that's all I've got. I've sifted through my notes and the textbook several times, and the only other thing I could come up with that may or may not be useful (I haven't connected the dots yet), is that:
    Def: the vectors v1, v2,...,vn in a vector space V are said to be linearly independent if
    c1v1+c2v2+...+cnvn = 0
    which implies that all the scalars c1...cn must equal zero

(the answer in the back of the book says that the answer is false, which is why I was looking at linear independence.)
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Linear Algebra true/false explanation. :)

Think about the geometry of your problem. S and T are both two-dimensional subspaces of R^3, which means that both (S and T) are planes that contain the origin. Is it possible to have two planes in R^3, both containing the origin, that intersect at no other points?

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3

No. So does = {0} mean they only contain the origin then?

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, {x} means a set that contains only the single member x. Surely you knew that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook