Some ridiculously tough true and false questions (Linear Algebra)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given plane contains the origin, the truth value of the statement "Ax=b is still the columnspace", how to begin solving a problem involving addition, and whether a statement is too trivial or can be proven through diagonalization. The origin can be determined by checking if the coordinates are <0,0,0> and a point is on the plane if it satisfies the equation for the plane. The statement is false, and the problem can be solved by using the determinant of A and A+5I.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8878/truie.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that it contains the 0 vector, so one of the conditions for subspace. But how do I determine whether the plane contains the origin?

b) I am going to answer False, because Ax = b is still the columnspace (provided b is not 0). This is only true if b = 0 (which is the nullspace)

c) I honestly do not even know where to begin lol. The addition part is killing me

d) Is this too trivial? Does this fall from Diagonalization? I am going to say it is true. I don't have a formal proof though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8878/truie.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that it contains the 0 vector, so one of the conditions for subspace. But how do I determine whether the plane contains the origin?
What are the coordinates of the origin? How would you tell if any given point is on the plane?
flyingpig said:
b) I am going to answer False, because Ax = b is still the columnspace (provided b is not 0). This is only true if b = 0 (which is the nullspace)

c) I honestly do not even know where to begin lol. The addition part is killing me
Isn't A2 + 5A = A(A + 5I)?
flyingpig said:
d) Is this too trivial? Does this fall from Diagonalization? I am going to say it is true. I don't have a formal proof though...

Last edited by a moderator:
a)What are the coordinates of the origin?

The coord of origin is <0,0,0>

How would you tell if any given point is on the plane?

How about 0 + 2(0) + 3(0) = 0 ≠ 4, so it doesn't contain the origin. Oh it is false then...

Isn't A2 + 5A = A(A + 5I)?

I swear, I did NOT see the 5A when I did the problem

So det(A(A + 5I)) = 0 = det(A)det(A + 5I) = 0 * det(A + 5I) = 0 = 0

So it is true!

flyingpig said:
How about 0 + 2(0) + 3(0) = 0 ≠ 4, so it doesn't contain the origin. Oh it is false then...
Yes.

flyingpig said:
I swear, I did NOT see the 5A when I did the problem

So det(A(A + 5I)) = 0 = det(A)det(A + 5I) = 0 * det(A + 5I) = 0 = 0

So it is true!
Yes.

1. What is the purpose of studying Linear Algebra?

The purpose of studying Linear Algebra is to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques used to solve systems of linear equations and to analyze linear transformations. It also has applications in fields such as computer science, physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the basic properties of a vector?

The basic properties of a vector include magnitude (length), direction, and position. Vectors can also be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar, and they follow the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.

3. What is a matrix and how is it used?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data, perform operations on vectors, and solve systems of linear equations.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. This means that vectors can be added and subtracted, while scalars can only be multiplied by a number.

5. How can I apply Linear Algebra in real life?

Linear Algebra has many real-life applications, such as analyzing and predicting stock market trends, creating 3D computer graphics, and designing efficient routes for transportation. It also has applications in image and signal processing, machine learning, and data analysis.