Quick Matrix Element Question using Hermitian Operator

In summary, if you have a state <1|AB|2> where A and B are Hermitian operators, you can rewrite it as <2|BA|1>
starryskiesx
Hi there,

This should be very simple...

If I have a state <1|AB|2> where A and B are Hermitian operators, can I rewrite this as <2|BA|1> ?

That would be, taking the complex conjugate of the matrix element and saying that A*=A and B*=B.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you need to remember to include the complex conjugation:

##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle^* = \langle 2 | B^\dagger A^\dagger | 1 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle##

so ##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle^*##

The_Duck said:
Well, you need to remember to include the complex conjugation:

##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle^* = \langle 2 | B^\dagger A^\dagger | 1 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle##

so ##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle^*##

Great, thank you for the help

not necessarily, you need to also consider that this is only true if A and B are compatible observables, and it is only a matrix element if |1> and |2> are basis vectors of those same compatible observables.

raymo39 said:
not necessarily, you need to also consider that this is only true if A and B are compatible observables, and it is only a matrix element if |1> and |2> are basis vectors of those same compatible observables.

So it appears I have a bigger problem!

|1> and |2> are eigenstates of the hamiltonian, my system is that of a harmonic oscillator. What I'm trying to prove is that <1|P|2> = -imw<1|X|2>, starting with the matrix element [P,H] where H is the hamiltonian. I thought I could do this just by swapping eigenstates so now I'm more stuck :)

So far I've tried two methods, one involving writing H = T + V for the harmonic oscillator and finding the commutation relation and the other working with H|1> = E1|1> etc.

Any suggestions?

raymo39 said:
What The Duck did holds in general, for arbitrary state vectors |1> and |2>.

Fredrik said:
What The Duck did holds in general, for arbitrary state vectors |1> and |2>.

I agree, my post was in reply to the original poster. Guess i was late to the party

1. What is a Quick Matrix Element Question?

A Quick Matrix Element Question is a type of mathematical question that involves calculating the expectation value of a specific matrix element using a Hermitian operator. This type of question is commonly encountered in quantum mechanics and other fields of physics.

2. What is a Hermitian Operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of linear operator that satisfies the property of being self-adjoint. This means that the Hermitian conjugate of the operator is equal to the operator itself. In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators represent physical observables such as energy, momentum, and position.

3. How do you calculate the expectation value of a matrix element using a Hermitian operator?

To calculate the expectation value of a matrix element using a Hermitian operator, you first need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. Then, you can use the formula ⟨Ψ|A|Ψ⟩ = ∑n an|⟨Ψ|Ψn⟩|2, where Ψ is the state vector, A is the Hermitian operator, an is the eigenvalue, and Ψn is the corresponding eigenvector.

4. What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of a matrix element using a Hermitian operator?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value is a measure of the average value of a physical observable for a given quantum state. By calculating the expectation value of a matrix element using a Hermitian operator, we can determine the most probable outcome for a measurement of that observable on the quantum state.

5. Are there any real-world applications for Quick Matrix Element Questions using Hermitian operators?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this type of question. In physics, Hermitian operators and their associated matrix elements are used to calculate the energy levels of atoms and molecules, the properties of quantum systems, and the behavior of particles in quantum field theories. These calculations are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter at the microscopic level.