Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Matrix Element Question using Hermitian Operator

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

This should be very simple...

If I have a state <1|AB|2> where A and B are Hermitian operators, can I rewrite this as <2|BA|1> ?

That would be, taking the complex conjugate of the matrix element and saying that A*=A and B*=B.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2
    Well, you need to remember to include the complex conjugation:

##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle^* = \langle 2 | B^\dagger A^\dagger | 1 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle##

so ##\langle 1 | A B | 2 \rangle = \langle 2 | B A | 1 \rangle^*##

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Great, thank you for the help

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4
    not necessarily, you need to also consider that this is only true if A and B are compatible observables, and it is only a matrix element if |1> and |2> are basis vectors of those same compatible observables.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    So it appears I have a bigger problem!

|1> and |2> are eigenstates of the hamiltonian, my system is that of a harmonic oscillator. What I'm trying to prove is that <1|P|2> = -imw<1|X|2>, starting with the matrix element [P,H] where H is the hamiltonian. I thought I could do this just by swapping eigenstates so now I'm more stuck :)

So far I've tried two methods, one involving writing H = T + V for the harmonic oscillator and finding the commutation relation and the other working with H|1> = E1|1> etc.

Any suggestions?

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What The Duck did holds in general, for arbitrary state vectors |1> and |2>.

8. Mar 22, 2013 #7
    I agree, my post was in reply to the original poster. Guess i was late to the party

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook