• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Quick question about hydrogen atom perturbation

• Thread starter davon806
  • Start date

Homework Statement

a.jpg

I have already solved the problem, but I don't really understand why the orbital angular momentum in the z-direction has to be taken to 0 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the component of orbital angular momentum in the z-direction is non-zero, that means there are extra angular momentum apart from l = 1 in the 2p state ? So when excitation occurs,it is no longer a "2p" state? Just a guess :nb)

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
What is the quantum number related to the projection of angular momentum?

What is the quantum number related to the projection of angular momentum?
Oh,do you mean that the problem asks you to compute the probability from 1s -> |210> because m = 0 in the z-direction? So basically the remaining two n = 2 states have nothing to do with this question?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I have already solved the problem, but I don't really understand why the orbital angular momentum in the z-direction has to be taken to 0?

Suppose the component of orbital angular momentum in the z-direction is non-zero, that means there are extra angular momentum apart from l = 1 in the 2p state? So when excitation occurs,it is no longer a "2p" state? Just a guess :nb)
Check out http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/vecmod.html to see why your guess isn't correct.

The problem asked you to calculate the probability for a given final state. It could have specified a different final state and given you a different expression for the probability.

Likes davon806