Quick question: ISD codes and international roaming

In summary: The person who calls you cannot know your present location, at least theoretically. So he simply calls your usual phone number and the telephone company directs it to where you are. So +91 is the answer. It should work even without it.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Suppose a person goes from his homeland to some other country. He has a phone number registered in his homeland. Now, someone from his homeland (or any country except his destination) wants to call him over the phone. What ISD code should be used - the one of the person's homeland, or that of the person's destination?

As an example, say I travel to the USA. I have a mobile number that is registered in my homeland (India). Now, someone from my country wants to call me. Should that person prefix "+91" (ISD code for India) or "+1" to call me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The person who calls you cannot know your present location, at least theoretically. So he simply calls your usual phone number and the telephone company directs it to where you are. So +91 is the answer. It should work even without it. The US code is only necessary, if a phone registered in the US is called, e.g. non mobile phones, or if you chose to buy an American contract.

The costs on the other side is a different question. It usually costs extra fees for your friend to reach you as some networks of third party companies need to be used. I cannot tell the exact distribution of costs, as this depends on too many unknowns, but it can get quite expensive.

Likes davenn and Wrichik Basu
Thanks for the answer.
fresh_42 said:
It should work even without it.
For the inverse, that is, if I call someone who is in India while I am still in the US, I have to prefix the isd code of India, right?

Right, you have to use +91, or 0091. But again, it can be rather expensive. It took the EU several years until they regulated the roaming costs for phone calls and for SMS, which in some cases had been ridiculously high.

Likes Wrichik Basu
fresh_42 said:
Right, you have to use +91, or 0091. But again, it can be rather expensive. It took the EU several years until they regulated the roaming costs for phone calls and for SMS, which in some cases had been ridiculously high.
Costs are quite high, I agree. Indian mobile operators have unusually high rates, but they also have some packages, giving you some fixed time of call for some fixed money. Dad would be traveling to Dubai this week; that's why these questions arose.

fresh_42 said:
Right, you have to use +91, or 0091.
In the US, the prefix for an international call is 011, not 00.

Likes Wrichik Basu
fresh_42 said:
I cannot tell the exact distribution of costs, as this depends on too many unknowns, but it can get quite expensive.
Wrichik Basu said:
Costs are quite high, I agree
maybe you need to shop around for better deals ...

I'm with Vodafone Australia, my roaming for calls and data are dirt cheap. They have the most popular 20 countries on their list
and if I am in one of those countries it only costs me $5 per 24hrs or part thereof of use. I have used it traveling to USA, New Zealand
and to South Africa. If there is a full 24 hrs of non-use ( never happens) during my say 2 week trip, then that is $5 less to pay
for each of those periods..
It includes my full data usage up to my max monthly data allowance (40GB) so as a result, not only do I use it for occasional
phone calls, it gets used every day for internet access ( use my phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect my tablet etc to it)

My last trip was to NZ last March for 9 days so all I paid was an extra $45 on my phone bill

as far as actual numbers dialled...
Some one calling me (regardless of where they are) call my number as tho I am at home in Australia -- doesn't cost them any extra
If I call an Australian number - I call them as I would if I was in Australia
If I am in New Zealand and calling a NZ number, I can call using the full prefix eg 0011 ( gets out of AU) 64 ( NZ country code)
then the area code 3 and actual phone # so 0011643 4xxxxxx or I can just do +643 4xxxxxx

Dave

Likes dlgoff

1. What is an ISD code?

An ISD (International Subscriber Dialing) code is a unique numerical code assigned to each country for making international calls. It is also known as the country code and is used in combination with the local area code and phone number to dial a specific international number.

2. How do I find the ISD code of a particular country?

The ISD codes of all countries can be easily found on various online directories and websites, such as World Telephone Numbering Guide or CountryCode.org. You can also find it by adding the country name and "ISD code" in a search engine like Google.

3. Do I need to use an ISD code for international roaming?

Yes, an ISD code is required for international roaming. When you travel to a different country, your phone will automatically search for and connect to a local network. In order to make and receive calls, you will need to add the ISD code of your home country before the local area code and phone number.

4. Can I use my phone's ISD code for international roaming?

Yes, you can use your phone's ISD code for international roaming as long as it is enabled by your mobile service provider. You may also need to activate international roaming on your phone or through your provider before traveling.

5. Are there any additional charges for using an ISD code for international roaming?

There may be additional charges for using an ISD code for international roaming, as it falls under international calling rates. It is best to check with your mobile service provider beforehand to determine any potential fees or plans that may be available for international roaming.