1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question of polynomial function

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determien an euation for each polynomial function described below state whether the function is even, odd or neither. Sketch a graph of each.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is.. If youre given information like this ::

a) A quintic function with zeroes at -2(o3) and 3(o2) and that has a y intercept at 70.

From this statement, are you able to determine the value of the leading coefficiant ( ALWAYS?)

So a) would be.. y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70

If i set X = 0, then y= (0+2)^3 (0-3)^2 + 70

Which gives me (2)^3 * (-3)^2 which is 72.

Do i then do the y intercept value over the value of setting the f(0) ?

Like The leading coefficiant for this one would be 70/72(x+2)^3(x-3)^2 + 70

Is that correct?

Plz answer!

In the back of the book the "+70" is gone.. So that represents a vertical stretch of that value instead of the y intercept? Im confused. Why is that the coefficiant

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70 doesn't have zeros at x=(-2) or x=3. Does it? Get rid of the 70 and do it again. You've got the leading coefficient right.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    What do you mean..? It says in the question "With a y intercept of 70" , why dont that work..? i get rid of the 70 and do wat? , i got that leading coefficiant by dividing 70 by the value of plugging in 0 into x. How else can i do it?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean if you put x=(-2) or x=3 into y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70 you don't get zero for y. They aren't roots. Just start with y = A (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 and determine A so you get y=70 at x=0.

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    ohh okay, and i do that anytime i get a Y intercept value but no leading coefficiant value right?

So if it told me y int was -14 then y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 -14

y = a(0+2)^3 (0-3)^2 -14

Then solve that, and it becomes a part of a, move one to the other side and divide, right?

Does the -14 join with the a?

Like.. 0= 72a -14 14 = 72a 14/72 . ?

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is NO REASON to put the -14 into y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 -14 to begin with. I don't know why you are doing it. It makes the y value at x=(-2) and x=3 equal to -14, not the value at x=0, y=-14. The only part of y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 you can adjust and still keep the roots is the leading coefficient.

8. Sep 19, 2011 #7
    ok... but the value of the y intercept(when stated) divided by the value of setting f(0) gives me the leading coefficiant right?

9. Sep 19, 2011 #8
    Another question.. If i have a grah like (1-x)^4 , then i can remove the x..

[-(x-1)]^4

Does that mean its a reflection on the y axis? Why does the graph still go from q2 to q1 with a upward opening.. It doesnt even reflect. Or am i jus removing a negetive to simplify it, so it doesnt mean y axis reflection?

-x+1

10. Sep 19, 2011 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

(1 - x)4 = (-(1 - x))4 = (x - 1)4, for all real x. Note that 1 - x [itex]\neq[/itex], because these quanties have opposite signs.

The graph of y = (1 - x)4 is its own reflection across the vertical line x = 1, but not across the y-axis (the line x = 0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook