Quick question on Parallel RLC circuit (Conceptual)

In summary: So, in summary, when the resistor is removed from a standard RLC circuit in parallel, the phase angle will be 0 radians and the angle with respect to the voltage will be 90 degrees.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

Even conceptual problem in the text:

Consider a standard RLC circuit driven by an AC source in which the elements are in parallel. Construct a phasor diagram and develop an expression for the phase angle θ. Now remove the resistor from the circuit, can you still develop an expression for the phase angle? Why or why not?

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part I was able to do with ease.

If we remove the resistor, then in my diagram I have the current through the capacitor (which lies on the vertical axis, and points upward), the current through the inductor (which lies on the vertical axis, and points downward), and the source voltage ( which lies on the horizontal axis, and points to the right). If we remove the resistor, I argue that the max current will strictly be pointing along the vertical axis and therefore the phase angle will be 0 radians. In addition, if I look at the expression I developed for the phase angle in an RLC circuit in parallel, if I allow R = 0, I again see that the phase angle is necessarily zero.

Am I correct?

Edit - I suppose my question is, when I say phase angle, am I talking about the angle with respect to the voltage? Because if that is the case then my angle is 90 degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AKJ1 said:

Homework Statement

Even conceptual problem in the text:

Consider a standard RLC circuit driven by an AC source in which the elements are in parallel. Construct a phasor diagram and develop an expression for the phase angle θ. Now remove the resistor from the circuit, can you still develop an expression for the phase angle? Why or why not?

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part I was able to do with ease.

If we remove the resistor, then in my diagram I have the current through the capacitor (which lies on the vertical axis, and points upward), the current through the inductor (which lies on the vertical axis, and points downward), and the source voltage ( which lies on the horizontal axis, and points to the right). If we remove the resistor, I argue that the max current will strictly be pointing along the vertical axis and therefore the phase angle will be 0 radians. In addition, if I look at the expression I developed for the phase angle in an RLC circuit in parallel, if I allow R = 0, I again see that the phase angle is necessarily zero.

Am I correct?

Edit - I suppose my question is, when I say phase angle, am I talking about the angle with respect to the voltage? Because if that is the case then my angle is 90 degrees.
Seems right. Removing the resistor will make the circuit purely reactive. Wheather its leading or lagging will be decided by L and C values.

1. What is a Parallel RLC circuit?

A Parallel RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the current is divided into separate paths, with each component having its own branch.

2. How does a Parallel RLC circuit work?

In a Parallel RLC circuit, the resistor, inductor, and capacitor each have their own individual current and voltage. The resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. These three components work together to create a resonant circuit, where the voltage across the capacitor and the current through the inductor are in phase.

3. What is the resonance frequency in a Parallel RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency in a Parallel RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, resulting in maximum current flow and minimum impedance. This frequency can be calculated using the formula fr = 1/2π√(LC), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What is the difference between a Series RLC circuit and a Parallel RLC circuit?

The main difference between a Series RLC circuit and a Parallel RLC circuit is the way in which the components are connected. In a Series RLC circuit, the components are connected in a series, meaning that the current flows through each component in succession. In a Parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in parallel, meaning that the current is divided into separate paths, with each component having its own branch. Additionally, the voltage across each component in a Series RLC circuit is the same, while in a Parallel RLC circuit, the voltage across each component may differ.

5. What are the applications of a Parallel RLC circuit?

Parallel RLC circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics and electrical engineering. They are commonly used in filter circuits to select or reject specific frequencies in a signal, and in radio frequency (RF) circuits for tuning and impedance matching. They are also used in power factor correction circuits to improve the efficiency of power transmission and distribution systems. Additionally, Parallel RLC circuits are used in electronic devices such as amplifiers, oscillators, and signal generators.