Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question on partial fractions

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    I'm a little mixed up on the integration for partial fraction decomposition.

I basically have x/ x(x^2 + 1)

I'm wondering for the (x^2 + 1) part, am I to put Ax + B over it because it is a raised power, or since the outside bracket is not squared, it is to only have one variable over it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I thought I had answer this before!

In general you will need Ax+ B. Notice that you would NOT need that if the denominator were (x+1)^2 so it is NOT a matter of whether "the outside bracket is not squared".

Of course, for this particular exercise, you should immediately cancel the "x" in numerator and denominator giving 1/(x^2+ 1) which is already in "partial fractions" form so you don't really need the "B".

But suppose it were (x+2)/(x(x^2+1)). If you were to try (x+2)/(x(x^2+1))= A/x+ B/(x^2+ 1), multiplying on both sides by x(x^2+1) you get x+ 1= A(x^2+ 1)+ Bx= Ax^2+ Bx+ A Equating the corresponding coefficients, A= 0, B= 0, but no way to match the "2".

Trying (x+2)/(x(x^2+1))= A/x+ (Bx+ C)/(x^2+ 1), multiplying on both sides, you have x+2= A(x^2+1)+ Bx+ C= Ax^2+ Bx+ (A+ C). Now A= 1, B= 0 and A+ C= 2 so A= 1, B= 0, C= 1 works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?