Quick Question on Van de Graaff Particle Accelerators

In summary, the conversation discusses whether negative ions can be accelerated by a Van de Graaff particle accelerator. It is stated that the terminal of the accelerator is positive, meaning negative ions would be attracted and not accelerated away from the ion source. The possibility of operating the accelerator in reverse or accelerating the ion beam towards the high voltage terminal is also mentioned.
Abu
Hi everyone. Just a small, quick question I have: Can negative ions be accelerated by a Van de Graaff particle accelerator? My initial reaction is no, because the terminal (the sphere with the charges allocated on the outside) is positive, which means negative ions would be attracted and not accelerate away from the ion source. Am I correct about this? I am using the following image as reference, and I am assuming that the voltage starts from a high number and is zero at the end of the beam:
3366-004-8E50176E.gif

If I am correct, is there any way a negative ion could be accelerated from accelerators like this one, or even a cockcroft-walton particle accelerator, by any chance?

Attachments

• 3366-004-8E50176E.gif
    3366-004-8E50176E.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
You can operate it in reverse.

Or accelerate the ion beam towards the high voltage terminal.

1. What is a Van de Graaff particle accelerator?

A Van de Graaff particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses static electricity to accelerate charged particles to high speeds.

2. How does a Van de Graaff particle accelerator work?

The accelerator works by using a motorized belt to continuously generate static electricity. This electricity is then used to accelerate particles through a series of electrodes and into a target chamber.

3. What types of particles can be accelerated with a Van de Graaff accelerator?

Van de Graaff accelerators are mainly used to accelerate protons, but they can also be used to accelerate other charged particles such as electrons, ions, and alpha particles.

4. What are the applications of Van de Graaff accelerators?

Van de Graaff accelerators have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including nuclear physics, material science, and medical radiation therapy. They are also used in industrial processes such as ion implantation and particle beam analysis.

5. What are the advantages of using a Van de Graaff accelerator?

One of the main advantages of using a Van de Graaff accelerator is its ability to produce high-energy beams with a relatively low cost compared to other types of accelerators. It also allows for precise control and manipulation of the accelerated particles, making it a valuable tool for scientific research.